Computer won't start, could be dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apples44

Beta member
Hello,

I have a 2001 Emachines Desktop Computer (Intel Celeron 1.8ghz) bought from Bestbuy. I used it for many years then removed the motherboard (w/ processor and fan) and stored it in a static-free bag. The motherboard I replaced with it died shortly after where I proceeded to build an entirely new computer. Recently, I thought I should sell the old Emachines Computer cheap. I reconnected everything and attached everything properly as I had done several times before.

However, the computer would not start. The power supply was working since it's fan turned on, the DVD drive had power running to it since it could open/shut and the computer's LED lights were on indicating there was power running through the motherboard to allow the switch to work. Yet, the processor fan did not turn on nor did the video card's. I suspect the hard drive wasn't working either.

The power source was not the problem. I removed it and tried another one and came to the exact same problem. The cords were all properly attached as well. My belief is that the motherboard is no good, but it may be fixable. The computer is worth maximum $200 and to spend much or anything on a new motherboard, especially one that supports a Celeron 1.8ghz, could be a big waste of time.

Please help, thanks.

I had this problem too with my old computer.... I forgot to put the standoffs on when I put my mainboard back into the case. Take out your mainboard and put standoffs in the try again

gmanych said:
I had this problem too with my old computer.... I forgot to put the standoffs on when I put my mainboard back into the case. Take out your mainboard and put standoffs in the try again

And when you get them in, hope that your board is not fried.

I don't think my computer had or needs standoffs. I rebuilt it exactly how it was when I bought it. I know this because I took it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom