Help a n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original: Dexaroni

Okay kids, calm down.

Not everyone overclocks. Was that ever a thought to you? Yes, Intels C2D line of CPU's are the best OC'ers out there. I recognize that. But what you have to realize is, he is going up from a 1.4ghz pentium 4. An X2 3800 would be a night and day difference, and unless you want crazy benchmarks, it will do great for gaming and encoding videos and music.

And since I feel like starting an AMD fanboy flamewar... Go look at Toms Hardware CPU charts. The AMD Athlon 64 3500 is the best price/ performance CPU out there. I am not saying it is the best by ANY means, its pretty low end, but for dollars/ mhz, it is the best.

Yes, I am an AMD fanboy. Perhaps only because it is all I have ever used. My next system may very well be a C2D, but only because it overclocks like mad. For the average user who just wants to go out and buy a well performing CPU, I suggest an AMD.

Why?

Um... wow.

AMD IS CHEAPER!! I just saw his 1500 dollar budget though, so yeah, I'm gonna shut up now.

Remember, I am only an AMD fanboy because I think they will be making a comeback, and I like the fact that their CPU's run cooler.

There is NO doubt that a Core 2 Duo is better than an X2, given that it is a comparable model.

I would go with pretty much exactly what saltynay said, just put a 500 watt in place of the 400 he suggested.

actually core 2s run cooler then amd because they require less voltages and they are 65nm technology compared to am2s 90nm

going am2 would be stupid for a budget like that

get something like this...
Gigabyte DS3 ~130 bucks
Core 2 E6600 ~320
2GB DDR2 800 gskill ~170
8800GTS 320MB ~300
Fortron 450watt ~50

saltynay said:

1) the e6400 is the best price/performance out right now
2)and beats the crap out of the top amd line when overclocked.

1) wrong. x2 3800 it's 109.00 vs 221.00 for the 6400. thats a big difference in money for the benefits, which aren't so big. at least not twice as big. dude the 3800 cant be beat for price/performance. nope.

2) wrong. <sigh>. dude do a little more in depth research yourself before pointing out that others don't know what they are talking about...
ONCE AGAIN...it depends on what you are using it for. granted, the "everyday" tasks are better suited to the intel...that doesn't mean that the x2's do not have their strengths over c2d. so, since you didnt ask the poster what it was going to be used for...i can only conclude that you yourself do not know what you are talking about. :amazed:

get it straight, lol.

the only reason to buy amd am2 socket right now is if you are on a tight (like 800 or under) budget. or you just have supreme faith that k8l is going to be the shizznerizznit, at least for a little while, lol.

i like saltnay's build, tho. except i would buy a 6300 and oc the crap out of it.
but then again, if i was going to buy an e6300, i'd just buy the 3800 instead, because it is like 80 bucks cheaper and performs pretty much (except in super pi lol) the same.
fade2blacks build is good too. but i wouldn't pay 300 bucks for a cpu. 200 maybe, if that b*tch was really good. which the 6400 is, make no mistake.

That's what I'm saying. and I agree as you will see a lot of my builds I recommend still use the X2's. Mainly the X2 3800. Although The C2D's will just beat an X2 in every benchmark just about so if you even have a little bit of cash...the C2D is the way to go.

If the X2 3800 wasn't around 140 when I purchased my E6300 for 181 at christmas I might just have an X2 system since the motherboards are cheaper and the X2's aren't that much slower. I worked around an 850 budget though and just skimmed on a gig of ram and got my E6300 which I might add runs @ 3.22ghz.

I still probably wouldnt have went X2 since I'm an overclocker but for someone who isn't as hardcore of a benchmarks guy as me and doesn't overclock a lot the X2's are still sweet.

I still do not recommend them to anyone who wants top notch performance or doesn't have as tight of a budget just becuase why go with something slower? In no way are the X2's bad though..

word, dude. you and i have had this conversation several times...and i know you are on top of things. but you never make the comment "c2d absolutely demolishes x2 and you are an idiot if you buy one", either. i just dislike generalized, misleading statements. it's my design flaw, lol.
hey man there are a few people having trouble in the oc section with their c2ds. i dont know too too much about ocing the c2d...just the basics, anyway...pretty simple. check it out before one of them blows up his rig, lol.
sorry to hijack your sh*t O.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom