Help a n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpig

Beta member
Sup all,

I currently have a 1.4 pent 4 and bunch of other old crap. The only things I have worth a !#$@ is dvd drive, dvd burner and a Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600SB 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive and a radeon 9200 pro

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144175

I have $700- 1000 to build a new rig. The highest game I got that demands high end is Marvel Ult. Alliance. (which is why i also want a new rig)

I'm ignoranant on whats better then what. But I'm sure if i got the stuff I could build it.

So any ideas and or suggestions on builds, please post.

Thanks,

motherboard: Aw9d-Max
cpu: E6400 core2duo
Ram: Gskill (2x1gb)
Harddrive: old one as storage and 320gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 as main
powersupply: fortron 400w
video card: 320gb 8800gts (this will play everything out atm and for the next year on max/high settings.

anything else you want suggestions for??

Matt

What is with you people? C2D aint all that great!!! (at saltynay)

*Get a motherboard that looks good on newegg. AM2 socket.
*Get 4 sticks of 512mb RAM of your choice. Make sure it is DDR2
*Use the harddrive you have now as you HD. It will work just fine.
*For a powersupply, but something around 500 watts, and make sure it has at least 30 amps total on the 12v rail.
*Buy whatever case you like.

I think going onto Newegg and looking at parts is the best way to find out what you want. People will always tell you what THEY like, which may not always be the best.

4 sticks of ram is just pointless sure dual channel is good but might as well get (2x1gb). You obviously dont know what your talking about the e6400 is the best price/performance out right now and beats the crap out of the top amd line when overclocked. The hdd he has now is ok thats why he should keep it but he will get a performance boost by using the fastest current 7200rpm hdd. fortron psu is a good brand and 500W is more then enough for him. he said he wanted to play a modern game well and the 8800gts allows him to be future proof at the same time and the 320gb is perfect for screens with resolutions lower then 1600x1200 or less then 20 inches!!!! look around on newegg and come back with a parts list.

Matt

Dexaroni said:

*Get a motherboard that looks good on newegg. AM2 socket.
*Get 4 sticks of 512mb RAM of your choice. Make sure it is DDR2
*Use the harddrive you have now as you HD. It will work just fine.
*For a powersupply, but something around 500 watts, and make sure it has at least 30 amps total on the 12v rail.
*Buy whatever case you like.

I think going onto Newegg and looking at parts is the best way to find out what you want. People will always tell you what THEY like, which may not always be the best.

Umm C2D aint that great? Even though they are the fastest line out let's just say they "suck" If they suck and they are better than the X2 line that must mean the X2 line REALLY sucks?

No C2D aren't much faster than X2's but they are still faster so why not go with them? Stop being so much of a **** fanboy.

look at my sig im a amd fan but i admit that c2d is faster by a bit and i want a c2d as amd doesnt have what it takes right now to beat the c2d there is never a point in being a fan boy when it comes to pcs just who has best performence for money and right now that is the c2d in both categories

Amd gt player said:
look at my sig im a amd fan but i admit that c2d is faster by a bit and i want a c2d as amd doesnt have what it takes right now to beat the c2d there is never a point in being a fan boy when it comes to pcs just who has best performence for money and right now that is the c2d in both categories

I agree, i learned along time ago, that get the best bang for the buck is the best way for ME to go. I dont care whose name is on it, just perform for me. :p

Okay kids, calm down.

Not everyone overclocks. Was that ever a thought to you? Yes, Intels C2D line of CPU's are the best OC'ers out there. I recognize that. But what you have to realize is, he is going up from a 1.4ghz pentium 4. An X2 3800 would be a night and day difference, and unless you want crazy benchmarks, it will do great for gaming and encoding videos and music.

And since I feel like starting an AMD fanboy flamewar... Go look at Toms Hardware CPU charts. The AMD Athlon 64 3500 is the best price/ performance CPU out there. I am not saying it is the best by ANY means, its pretty low end, but for dollars/ mhz, it is the best.

Yes, I am an AMD fanboy. Perhaps only because it is all I have ever used. My next system may very well be a C2D, but only because it overclocks like mad. For the average user who just wants to go out and buy a well performing CPU, I suggest an AMD.

Dexaroni said:

that must be why their rated product of the year by PC WORLD and X2 wasnt. because we all know that X2 surpasses C2D to be even compared on the same level, while projecting hologram strippers for our entertainment

saltynay said:
motherboard: Aw9d-Max
cpu: E6400 core2duo
Ram: Gskill (2x1gb)
Harddrive: old one as storage and 320gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 as main
powersupply: fortron 400w
video card: 320gb 8800gts (this will play everything out atm and for the next year on max/high settings.

anything else you want suggestions for??

Matt

this setup will work beautifuly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom