Strange overclocking results

Status
Not open for further replies.

metsfan

Beta member
I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard. The default speed is 2.0 GHz (200 clock frequency with a x10 multiplier). I wanted to play around with overclocking so i gradually increased my clock frequency. I started with 205, then went up to 220, then up to 240. I saw basically no improvement over these 3 increases. In addition, my CPU temperature basically was the same(38C), so i decided to up it more. I put it up to 260, and then the computer would not boot, it would get to the end of POST, then restart, so i lowered it to 250. At 250, my computer was quite noticeably slower. What am I doing wrong here? Overclocking is supposed to make a computer faster, not slower! Please help.

i had a venice 3500+ that went straight up to 2.4ghz by increasing the fsb to around 220. and then up to 2.6 and on...

are you using any monitoring software or just judging by the p.c performance/speed?

use cpu-z for real-time display of the frequency then find a cpu benchmark tool, a heavy load program and judge the improvement, run it standard, then o'c'd and look for gains

just look for freeware prog's.

once you get up to 230ish... take it slow, test and test again.

look for the max setting you can safely re-boot/launch/test/strain the o/s and then back it off a little.

just learning myself so hope this helps...? :confused:

you may have to adjust your RAM timings or put it on a divider. When you overclock the FSB you put up the speed of the ram to your FSB. So, my FSB is at 300, so on a 1:1 (FSB:DRAM) my ram would be running at 300MHz. Run Memtest #5, after 25 passes it's considered stable enough. You also have to lower your HT multiplier to 3x because as you add more MHz to the fsb you put the HT link higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom