AM3 n DDR3 really worth waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i was reading n article from theinquirer.net about when AM3 mobos might come to retailers, they asked someone from AMD n they said that AM3 mobos may not come until Q2 2008, same with DDR3 n the 45nm of the Shanghai.

now my question is this................do u guys think, in ur honest opinions, that it's best for me. or anyone else, to wait for AM3 mobos to come out or should i get an AM2+ mobo n Budapest, n 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM at the same time when i get the money?

i want AM3 n DDR3 so badly, i just............cant hold it in for a whole year. I know this will give me more time to get the money, but should i try to hold out n get AM3 n 2 x 2GB DDR3 1066 SDRAM when it becomes available? *i wont change my mind on getting 2 x 1GB DDR3 1066 SDRAM so dont try to change my mind on that*

I do have RCC to focus on too u know, n driving to get my license *18 yrs:(*. I called a sign spinner n so ill go to the place n get n application there, they said they r still hiring.

well what do u guys say? Crazy? Idiot? Smart planing? What?

I think you should upgrade you 3000+ sir, socket 939 is Dirt cheap, Why worry about something so far away.

M733mhz said:
I think you should upgrade you 3000+ sir, socket 939 is Dirt cheap, Why worry about something so far away.

so i can save myself some money n use it to buy Budapest without having to get a dual-core n then upgrade again just to have a quad-core that comes out 3-4 months later.

EDIT:

bump

edit bump doesn't work.

Anyway, whether or not it's worth waiting for, is purely subjective. it's up to you.

Personally, I'd get an AM2+ motherboard with a Kuma (dual core) or Agena (quad core) chip. They will be a big jump from K8.

Agena will be coming out first, in Q3 this year.

If you want to ugrade quickly, go with AM2. You should always wait until the product matures. The first DDR3 that is released may not even perform that much better than the best DDR2 of the time. Look what happened in the transition between DDR and DDR2. I think DDR3 will be much better than DDR2 did compared to the older generation but still not worth waiting for.

huh waiting for 1 year ? thats the frequency of my upgrades. i upgraded from athlon xp to sempron (1.5 years) and then to athlon 64 (9 months) next upgrade coming soon.

get a better Athlon for your current build, they cost nothing. and then just sit tight for the Agena. it will be well worth it. AM2s that are out right now are cost effective but they don't have the umpf of a Conroe. the Agena will be a big step up.

Apokalipse said:
edit bump doesn't work.

Anyway, whether or not it's worth waiting for, is purely subjective. it's up to you.

Personally, I'd get an AM2+ motherboard with a Kuma (dual core) or Agena (quad core) chip. They will be a big jump from K8.

Agena will be coming out first, in Q3 this year.

alright alright, u convinced me, ill get the Agena FX, ive never heard of it before so i did a little research on google at RCC n it turns out that Budapest n Barcelona are server processors n Agena is a desktop processor. This is what totally changed my mind, because im so used to desktop processors i dont want to have a server, n i dont know how much of a difference a server processor is compared to desktop.

ive changed my mind n im getting the 1207FX+ mobo, because again, i researched n i found out that Agena FX will support HT 3.0, same with AM2+ n AM3 *not sure what HT does, been a while since last time a checked*.

here are the sources that made me decides on getting Agena FX n a socket 1207FX+ mobo:

http://trackingamd.blogspot.com/2006/12/amd-processor-roadmaps-for-2007.html

EDIT: *a bit of a typo on the socket type, it's suppose to be 1207FX+, not 1207+, i double checked*
http://www.chilehardware.com/images/rd790referenceb2og4.jpg

thx for ur help, u help me a lot, n ur pretty cool smarts person i can talk to :).

turtile said:
If you want to ugrade quickly, go with AM2. You should always wait until the product matures. The first DDR3 that is released may not even perform that much better than the best DDR2 of the time. Look what happened in the transition between DDR and DDR2. I think DDR3 will be much better than DDR2 did compared to the older generation but still not worth waiting for.

really? DDR2 didnt perform so well when it was introduced to the public? Wow, that is a shock, never knew that.

hmm, well ive decided to go with Agena FX, thanks to Apokalipse mentioning about it. I'll also go with 1207FX+ mobo because it will still support HT 3.0 *dont know what it does exactly, been a while since i checked it's definition*, and go with 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM.

thank u so much for helping me, hope ur info on DDR2 n DDR3 is true, then it would save my life lol.

zmatt said:
get a better Athlon for your current build, they cost nothing. and then just sit tight for the Agena. it will be well worth it. AM2s that are out right now are cost effective but they don't have the umpf of a Conroe. the Agena will be a big step up.

cant, my 3000+ is stuck on the board, meaning i busted one of the screws trying to take it off, sry :eek:. I'll stick with it tell i buy Agena FX.

ill give the mobo n processor to little bro, once he is mature enough to have his own computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom