My Computer Config (Need help with DX10 Graphic Cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokza

Baseband Member
Hi guys,
I am planning to buy a new PC in end of March-April and this is my config. I stay in India, so everything is given in rupees (Indian currency) where 1 USD = 45 Rs. The PSU and cabinet are from Indian companies, so you'll may not be knowing about them. I have some doubts which are given down below (after my configuration). Please help me out with them! Here is my configuration:

Processor – Intel Core 2 Duo E6400: Rs. 10,500

Graphic Card – nVIDIA GeForce 8600 Ultra: Rs. 10,000

Motherboard – ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP: Rs. 11,000

Hard Disk Drive (HDD) – 200GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk @ 7200 rpm or SATA2 Hard Disk: Rs. 3000

Sound Card – Included in Motherboard

Local Area Network (LAN) Card – Included in Motherboard

Random Access Memory (RAM) – Transcend 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM 2x: Rs. 11,000

Mouse and Keyboard – Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop: Keyboard and Mouse Set: Rs. 2800

Speakers – Altec Lansing 251 or Creative P5800 5.1 Speaker System: Rs. 4,000

Monitor – 17 inch or 19 inch, LCD monitor, 5ms, not widescreen, with DVI port: Rs. 10,000

Web Cam – Logitech QuickCam Easy: Rs. 1,500

Microphone – Logitech Microphone: Rs. 500

DVD/CD Drive – LiteON 20x DVD Writer LH-20A1P: Rs. 3000

Power Supply Unit (PSU) – Powersafe 500W PSU: Rs. 2,500

Cabinet – I-Ball Grabit: Rs. 1,650

Ups – Rs. 2,000

Total Cost: Rs. 73,450

DOUBTS:
1. Do I need anything else other than headphones and a TV Tuner Card?

2. Should I buy the nVIDIA GeForce 8600 Ultra or should I buy 1 of the graphic cards from the ATI R600 series? If so, which ATI Graphic Card should I buy? It needs to be in my budget for the graphic card, i.e., Rs. 10,000 (222 USD). Also the graphic card needs to support DX10 and Windows Vista! Also, I want to know the release date of ATI R600 series and nVIDIA 8600 series.
NOTE: Please give me the model name of the graphic card that you mention.

3. Is a 500W PSU (Power Supply Unit) enough for this configuration or do I need a 550W PSU?

4. Is it advisable for me to buy a DS3 MoBo or the present one?

Thanks,
rokza

1. For what?

2. Those cards aren't even out yet, so we can't tell you which to buy.

3. Yes, 500w should be plenty for most single-gpu systems.

4. Both mobos are good. If you want to save some rupees, get the DS3. I believe the P5B Deluxe has more features though, most of which you will probably not use.

If you wait till after April 22nd (according to some sites), Intel is going to release the e6420. It's the same as the processor you picked except double the cache for the same price. Also, I can't tell if you have 1 or 2 gb of ram selected, but definitely get 2gb.

I would wait until April 22nd if you can and Order an E6320 and a DS3. Even better if you want to really pump up your gaming power, buy an E4300 for what will be really cheap (about half of what the E6400 costs now), a DS3, and get an 8800GTS 320MB. Then upgrade to some standard DDR2-800 and overclock your E4300. This will yield you still very high standard desktop performance but MUCH better 3D mark scores. I'm just telling you this to offer you some serious gaming power bud. The extra 2MB cache doesn't make much of a difference though and I can show you how to get that E4300 3.0ghz+ easy making it better than the E6800, while still being very safe.

Also is english your main language? If it isn't your english is quite good >.<

My main question (question 2) isn't still answered, but I think I will get that answer only in March-April.

@ Jrod
Hi, could u tell me what features does the DS3 lack as compared to the P5B? and yea, I can wait till April 22nd for the E6420, but is it worth waiting for it? I mean, can u tell me exactly what more is there in the E6420?

@ Sora
No, I prefer going with E6400. Anyway, do you think I should go with a DS3 instead of P5B? :eek:
And no, everyone here in my country speaks Hindi, but most of the schools teach English as the primary language. India was a colony of the British, you see.

I forgot where I read that the P5B has more features. Here's an article that might help you: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2914&p=1

If you want the E6400, but you don't mind waiting, definitely get the E6320 or the E6420. The cache will go from 2mb to 4mb, putting it closer to the E6600. Not sure how much cache size affects performance really, but the prices are supposed to be the same as the original E6300's and E6400's so you might as well get the newer one with double the cache.

Jrod said:
I forgot where I read that the P5B has more features. Here's an article that might help you: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2914&p=1

If you want the E6400, but you don't mind waiting, definitely get the E6320 or the E6420. The cache will go from 2mb to 4mb, putting it closer to the E6600. Not sure how much cache size affects performance really, but the prices are supposed to be the same as the original E6300's and E6400's so you might as well get the newer one with double the cache.
I am no computer pro or anything. Infact, I am just 15 years old! But, I found an article which shows a comparison between all the Core 2 Duo's including E6420 and E6400 and I thought that there's negligible difference between them (that's what I think). I need you pros to check it out and tell me if its really worth waiting for even say 1 month:
Click here to see the comparison

About the MoBo, Ill go with the P5B only, coz the DS3 doesn't offer WiFi LAN and also, in my country, the DS3 costs only Rs. 2000 (45$) less than the P5B/WiFi

Now, the only problem I have is my graphic card. What should I do, if a graphic card that supports DX10 and is in my budget is not released by April 22nd? hmmm.....
Help me with the release dates please someone. They must be somewhere on the net!!!

Well you said you were going to be building around April, if so I'd get the newer version. Those benchmarks don't show a whole lot of difference though so if you want to build before April 22nd just get the e6400. Up to you how long you want to wait.

Thx Jrod and Sora!
Ill do as Jrod said. Wait till April 22nd so that I can buy a Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 and also maybe get a graphic card that is in my budget. Comments are still welcome....!

TY All....

Ne idea about the ATI R600 models and prices? I found a site that shows the ATI R600 model names and prices but now I can't remember which site it was :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom