Sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey all, I have a new motherboard which seems to be dodgy in its placement of SATA ports. Its labelling also seems to be off, with 'Sata 1' being #3, and 'Sata 2' being #1, etc.

My question is basically this; is there any negative effect from installing your hard drives to random SATA ports and then just assigning there boot priority from within the BIOS? For example, plugging HD1 into Sata Port 3, and HD2 into Sata Port 1, etc.

Cheers.

Thats what I assumed, and I have my 'first' (a Western Digital 160gb) HD plugged in to what is labbelled Sata 1. However, the boot POST screen shows that the WDC160 is NOT the first hard drive in the 'chain'. WDC250 shows up top of the list, with WDC160 next, and then finnally ST250. I have it set up in my BIOS to use the WDC160 first.

However, when I was installing windows it just would not let me install to the 160, and despite what hard drive i selected it would always insist on formatting the WD 250 and installing there. In the end I just had to unplug all my hard drives except the 160.

Wierd **** this be. Any ideas why my SATA ports would be labbelled / configured incorrectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom