I am buying this Dell laptop but have a few questions about these add-ons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoagirl

Solid State Member
Hello,
I have finally decided on purchasing a Dell 1505 laptop with the following specs

My Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™
Integrated Audio

So far this build is $998

But need to know if I should purchase the following to go with it:

1) It comes with the Dell Wireless 1390/b/g (54mbps) is the sufficient for browsing wireless while at a local Starbucks or do I need one of the other 3 choices:
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g [add $29 or $1/month1]
Hi-Speed: Dell Wireless 1500 Wireless-N [add $49 or $2/month1]
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N [add $59 or $2/month1]

2) Do I need Internal Bluetooth? What will it enable?

3) It comes with a 1 year Ltd Warranty and mail-in service, should I upgrade to:
3Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $250 or $8/month1]
2Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $170 or $6/month1]

4) Should I get Accident and Theft protections for $139?

Thanks all, I just don't want to pay for something that I might not use.

cocoagirl said:
Hello,
I have finally decided on purchasing a Dell 1505 laptop with the following specs

My Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™
Integrated Audio

So far this build is $998

1) It comes with the Dell Wireless 1390/b/g (54mbps) is the sufficient for browsing wireless while at a local Starbucks or do I need one of the other 3 choices:
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g [add $29 or $1/month1]
Hi-Speed: Dell Wireless 1500 Wireless-N [add $49 or $2/month1]
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N [add $59 or $2/month1]

2) Do I need Internal Bluetooth? What will it enable?

3) It comes with a 1 year Ltd Warranty and mail-in service, should I upgrade to:
3Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $250 or $8/month1]
2Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $170 or $6/month1]

4) Should I get Accident and Theft protections for $139?

Thanks all, I just don't want to pay for something that I might not use.

I would get the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g. I have that on my laptop and it has gotten excellent reception for me plus it isn't that much of a price jump. As for "N" technology, I dont think it is useful enough to warrant the price.

As for the warranty, it all depends on your computer understanding and if you know anyone else in your area that would help you out with computer problems. If you don't, that 2-year option might be good for you... The 3-years probably isn't worth it.

As for Accident and Theft Protection... It depends on how careful you are with your equipment. If you are careless with it or have friends that might "borrow" it, it may be a good idea. Otherwise, I wouldn't personally get it.

The last 2 are really up to your preference and piece of mind. If you feel better about your purchase with those things then get it, if you feel you don't want to justify that amount then pass on them and hope nothing too major happens.

Thanks for your sugg. on the wireless. I am not that technically advanced, yet, with troubleshooting technical problems within the system. If I did have an issue with the motherboard or what have you, would I be able to figure out how to fix it myself with forum help?

yea probably most things arent that hard I recommend getting an external and backing up your important data now and then as if you screw up you can just reinstall windows and start again. bluetooth is used for contacting wireless speakers phones cameras loads of things but it is now out of date or atleast going that way as next-gen phones are sing a faster method of wireless transfer with better range.

Matt

1390 is the same as 3945 in terms of performance. The difference is that the 3945 is compatible with the a standard. Pointless cuz nobody uses a anymore so don't waste your money. Internal bluetooth will allow u to wirelessly sync a bluetooth smart phone, or use bluetooth mice/keyboards with your laptop so your the judge on that (also easy to add later). Warranty and accident protection depend on how tech savy and carefull you are. One thing I can tell you from experience is that dell support is HORRID!!

O and I would upgrade the cpu to the 1.86. Its got a faster front side bus which will enable you to upgrade to more and FASTER ram. (cheap upgrade)

Thanks, Also it looks like the 1505 is only expandable to 2mb ram, is there anyway that it can be upgraded to more mem?

cocoagirl said:
Thanks, Also it looks like the 1505 is only expandable to 2mb ram, is there anyway that it can be upgraded to more mem?

No, but if you get the 1.86 cpu you will be able to add 667 Mhz ram vs the 533 Mhz ram that you would only be able to add if you stick with the 1.6 cpu.

Either way you will only be able to upgrade to 2gb. The 1.86(and faster) allow you to use faster ram(because they have a faster front side bus).

cocoagirl said:
Hello,

My Components:
FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB

^^^^LOL - THATS NOT A GOOD THING^^^^^

Integrated Audio - Dell integrated audio is CRAP

1) It comes with the Dell Wireless card it comes with will be fine

2) Do I need Internal Bluetooth? What will it enable? - Bluetooth will enable you to connect to your cell phone wirelessly

3) It comes with a 1 year Ltd Warranty and mail-in service, should I upgrade to: YOUR CHOICE

4) Should I get Accident and Theft protections for $139? we cant really tell you that - lol - you cant really ''plan'' for an acident or theft.....thats why its called and accident...better safe than sorry

Try making a decision for yourself...dont think weve heared the last of her ay guys

cocoagirl said:
Thanks for your sugg. on the wireless. I am not that technically advanced, yet, with troubleshooting technical problems within the system. If I did have an issue with the motherboard or what have you, would I be able to figure out how to fix it myself with forum help?

HA no chance....not with a laptop.....youll only have problems if your ''experiment'' with trying to do stuff yourself...

or if you spill your starbuck on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom