5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyNaStY336

In Runtime
I tried posting this in the audio section but it seems that not to many people surf that part of the forum and i would like to get my games in surround sound ASAP. can anyone help me?

5.1?

Here is my problem i have a cable going out from my spdif out on my sound card into my rca 5.1 surround sound receiver and i would like to know how can i get the that 5.1 surround sound in games? my sound card is listed below.

Hey there, SPDIF (or digital coax) is a true surround sound signal. If I'm not mistaking, the Audigy 2 NX is the exterior USB one. Now it isn't THX approved like the other audigy2 are, but it still reproduces surround sound. Now, as long as your receiver also supports it, you're all set. make sure that you have 5 speakers and 1 sub plugged onto the receiver and almost every new game coming out on the market now supports 5.1. If the game doesnt, then you will have the same sound comming out of every speaker (still a better effect then a 2 speaker setting). But if your receiver has DTS support then your receiver will be able to take that 2 channell sound and reproduce it in 5.1.
hope this helps...

I have the receiver that supports it and all the other things you said but i cant get it to show a dolby digital signal. What in game setting do i need to use? what else could i try to get the 5.1 signal to my receiver?

umm... try a dvd movie. Assuming you have a DVDROM on your computer. Get an action on, like Matrix 3 or Bad Boyz 2, those kind of movies have the Dolby Digital 5.1

I can get dolby 5.1 in those movies but not in games. I would like to be able to have the 5.1 in games, is there something i need to turn on in the game to acheive this?

There should be... I guessing you've checked the options menu of the target game, right? There should be a sound menu that allows you to select what type of sound you want. Some, like GTA3 for example, dont have the option to select the speaker layout, but instead you select what type of sound you want it to put out, via different driver configs, etc.

What game(s) are you trying this on? If I own that particular game I could probably see what all my computer/game settings are and get back with you.

if that doesn't work give me the model number of your home receiver. I know on my Onkyo receiver it has Dolby Pro Logic IIx and at least 1 or 2 modes for gaming. also did you connect the SPDIF to the digital COAX on the back of your receiver? if you have no COAX than thats your problem unless your movies are coming from your computer and it shows as 5.1 on the receiver

yes i hooked it up to the digital COAX on the back of the receiver and 5.1 works fine for movies i just cant seem to find the setting for getting it to work in games.

Ok, dolby digital 5.1 is a written code, embedded in the audio channel of the game/DVD/whatever. If the game's audio isn't written in dolby, then dolby won't work to its full potential. now the card will try and figure out something so that it uses all the speakers, but the full effect cannot be fulfilled without the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom