Dead Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn_Cycle

Baseband Member
Hey, I have an old computer with a Pentium 3. Running Windows 95. Anyways.... its a POS. I want to do a full system restore and i can only use command line because 8 years ago it crashed and i can't go into anything with graphics.
So I got myself a Ubuntu CD and just put it in the Drive when i just realized that the the CD drive doesn't work.
So now I not only have to use command line through this all but I can't even use any CD's.
So I am trying to think of a way that I can be able to get to my desktop. So I can install Ubuntu on it.
The only thing I can think of is getting an external CD drive so far.
Feel free to ask questions or solve this puzzle.
Thanks.
Burn)Cycle

What processor do you have? Speed, I mean. Will Windows 2K work on it? It if will, then try to copy the contents of CD on hard drive and with a bootable floppy you can install it. I said win2K because it might be... a little more stable then windows 95, not bug free, but stable.
But if you get to know Ubuntu a little bit, I recommend you to take some time and learn using Linux, and you'll see that you might not even need a graphic environment. Depends on what you are planning to do on that computer...
You can install almost any linux with a floppy with some lilo on it and the cd/dvd contents on the hard drive.

Ste said:
Its not worth it. Especially in its given state. Windows 95? Pentium 3? Common...

Back up anything you want to keep..

It's not worth it? This will be an easy fix as soon as I think of somthing. Pentium 3 can easily run linux and basic commands. I personally am going to use it to learn more about networking and secuirity which will be much easier when i have 2 computers.

lolinux said:
What processor do you have? Speed, I mean. Will Windows 2K work on it? It if will, then try to copy the contents of CD on hard drive and with a bootable floppy you can install it. I said win2K because it might be... a little more stable then windows 95, not bug free, but stable.
But if you get to know Ubuntu a little bit, I recommend you to take some time and learn using Linux, and you'll see that you might not even need a graphic environment. Depends on what you are planning to do on that computer...
You can install almost any linux with a floppy with some lilo on it and the cd/dvd contents on the hard drive.

Yes, I plan on using Ubuntu to expand my knowledge of computers.
I actually take it back I do have W2K on it.
Speed: 450MHz
Memory: 512KB
I think I am going to try putting Ubuntu on a flashdrive. Maybe that will work. I've never tried it but I am about to.

Burn_Cycle said:
It's not worth it? This will be an easy fix as soon as I think of somthing. Pentium 3 can easily run linux and basic commands. I personally am going to use it to learn more about networking and secuirity which will be much easier when i have 2 computers.

Thought you wanted to use the current windows Install. :confused:

Just backup any important information and reinstall Windows. If you can get your hands on Windows 98 or even Windows 2k, it would be much better. About the CD, can't you borrow one from another computer (a friend, relative?)

My mother is a translator / writer, and she works on my (very) old Pentium III 500Mhz, with around 256 MB of RAM and Windows XP. It's a bit slow but not unusable.

No way am i using Windows on this machine. I had this 8 years ago?? (I think it was) when it was labled a "Decent Computer" I didn't know how to maintain a computer or know anything about computers other than you could play games on it. The funny thing is, right before this computer crashed many years ago, my brother put a big pile of crap on my desktop so when i boot it up that is all i can see! aha. Well heres an update on my computer:

I just got into my desktop!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAH!
So from now on I should be able to continue on without any problems. May need help with installing Ubuntu, but hopefully not.

If you need help w/ ubuntu you should try ubuntuforums.org , there's a ton of people who are awesome at helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom