reformating to OS only

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman

Baseband Member
is it possible to reformat to OS only without using the OS disk?

some program built into windows, or some program i can download?

You can format with many programs. They just won't install windows afterwards... So if you want to reinstall windows you will need a Windows OS Disk.

I have to ask ,,, why ? maybe formatting will not help and it is something else. What are you experiencing that you think you need to format.

I think there's programs that let you make your current install into an image you can put on a cd. And then install from that cd, but I would back up your data still to be safe.

I'm reformatting because I'm selling my desktops and I just ordered my new laptop yesterday=)

so, i want to clear the computers clean basically

ECTech said:
try using deriks boot & nuke... http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Sure that's a good idea, but the OP wants to somehow format back to having an OS. DBAN wipes the harddrive clean leaving it without an OS. The only way to get what the OP wants is to run a reinstall disk, if the computer came with one. If there were a way to format a harddrive and end up with an OS, everyone would be doing that and not paying for Windows.

But if you have a way to install Windows again, DBAN is a great way to make sure that no one will ever pull anything you had off of your harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom