Dead Laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrod

In Runtime
My laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301) recently stopped turning on. Well, sometimes it would turn on for a few seconds but not long enough to even start up. So, I took it to a friend of a friend who works for CircuitCity's tech dept and he said that the harddrive and/or motherboard probably died, and that it'd cost around $650 to have them fix it.

How difficult would it be to swap out those parts on a laptop myself? How much would it cost? Either I fix it myself, or I toss it and get a new one which I can't afford at this time. If anybody here has experience with laptops and could help me out I'd appreciate it!

the hdd is easy to replace but if its the motherboard it will be a little trickier and more expensive

dont let circuit city fix it thats alot of money and you could do it yourself for alot cheaper

Yeah, having them fix it for almost 700 bucks isn't even an option haha. I'm just wondering how much a mobo would cost for it and how hard it'd be to install.

After leaving it off for a few days I tried it again and it got passed the boot-up this time. Opened a program and it shut off. Any ideas?

Here's a link to your laptop's parts. Toshiba often doesn't make their laptop mobos available to anyone but themselves, and unfortunately that seems to be the case here.
http://www.impactcomputers.com/toshiba-satellite-1905-s301-parts.html

That said, Toshibas are very difficult to service. Instructions are often not available for how to do anything beyond replacing ram or a hd. Your model fo laptop is running around $400-450 used so it's not worth it to fix it. I'd just part it all out on ebay, you should be able to earn a couple hundred bucks and put it towards a new laptop.

I went ahead and bought a $50 hd for it...but now I'm kind of doubting that's the problem. After doing some research seems like Toshiba laptops have a lot of problems with motherboards and overheating. We'll see. I can always sell it if it doesn't help. Would I get more selling the parts separate you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom