DivX 10 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman

Baseband Member
i just recently bought a really nice laptop with top of the line stuff, except the video card isnt direct x10. Is it possible to game for the next 2 years without div x10 card??

im kind of noob coming to this topic, can anyone help me?

my laptop specs are in my sig

RoyalW said:

Not necessarily. Games like Crysis and Halo 2 are going to be only DX10 and there will be no way for DX9 cards to emulate it.

So if you get games that are DX9 compatable then yes you can. But if they are DX10 games then no.

Makaveli213 said:
Not necessarily. Games like Crysis and Halo 2 are going to be only DX10 and there will be no way for DX9 cards to emulate it.

So if you get games that are DX9 compatable then yes you can. But if they are DX10 games then no.

Hehe yea right on Mak. I just got lazy. I was gonna say just try play games for the next 2 years and then he could tell us :p

So no one is going to explain that DivX and DirectX are two profoundly different things?

DivX - Video codec, media playing program
DirectX - graphics, audio and human input library usually for games

When people say DX10, they are not referring to anything but DirectX 10, and they are most certainly not referring to anything about DivX.

Makaveli213 said:
Games like Crysis and Halo 2 are going to be only DX10 and there will be no way for DX9 cards to emulate it.

Every screenshot, every video, and every thing you have seen from Crysis thus far has been DirectX 9.

Go watch the interviews on www.ign.com and you'll see the devs talking about it.

Here are the system requirements:

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php/topic,141.0.html

Regardless of which version of DX it uses, the game is going to be freaking awesome. :p

Yes the reason why everything for Crysis being DX9 is because only DX9 machines run it right now. There are only 2 sets of DX10 cards out there and the screenshots of the game were taken before those cards were put out into production. So how can you run a game in DX10 if there is no hardware for it?

The game will be DX10. It will be for Vista. this we know. Vista does DX10. It only emulates DX9 which is a lower technology. So why would they limit the game to DX9 when DX10 is way more powerful? I highly doubt they would do that.

Also look at what you linked to. July 14,2006 for the requirements. Which at the Time Vista was still in Beta. Also the stuff on IGN isnt the best to go by. they are good but they also have a fan base to consider.

Wait and see what happens why Crysis gets closer to release. You will see the requirements get updated to include Vista (Which is doesnt now since back in July wait i said this already...) and it will also show nVidia 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS along with the R600 from ATi (if that ever gets released.)

I am almost positive that things will change now that DX10 cards are out and getting cheaper and that technology will better handle what they want to do with the game.

As far as Halo 2 it has been confirmed long ago that it will be Vista only which means DX10 only.

Makaveli213 said:
Yes the reason why everything for Crysis being DX9 is because only DX9 machines run it right now. There are only 2 sets of DX10 cards out there and the screenshots of the game were taken before those cards were put out into production. So how can you run a game in DX10 if there is no hardware for it?

Why would they take a game that CLEARLY works on DirectX 9 and LOCK it into DirectX 10? All that will do is irritate 7950GX2 owners and the like. Not every gamer has or can afford a new video card, it would be completely irrational to do so.

Makaveli213 said:
The game will be DX10. It will be for Vista. this we know. Vista does DX10. It only emulates DX9 which is a lower technology. So why would they limit the game to DX9 when DX10 is way more powerful? I highly doubt they would do that.

They won't, it will be like every freaking game in existance right now. Take Half-Life 2 for example, it will work on DirectX 8 hardware, but that doesn't mean that it's limited to DirectX 8 graphics or performance on DirectX 9 hardware. Heck, look at Unreal Tournament 2004, it works on DirectX 8, 9, OpenGL, whatever.

Makaveli213 said:
Also look at what you linked to. July 14,2006 for the requirements. Which at the Time Vista was still in Beta. Also the stuff on IGN isnt the best to go by. they are good but they also have a fan base to consider.

Wait and see what happens why Crysis gets closer to release. You will see the requirements get updated to include Vista (Which is doesnt now since back in July wait i said this already...) and it will also show nVidia 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS along with the R600 from ATi (if that ever gets released.)

I am almost positive that things will change now that DX10 cards are out and getting cheaper and that technology will better handle what they want to do with the game.

As far as Halo 2 it has been confirmed long ago that it will be Vista only which means DX10 only.

Go here: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/vids_1.html

It's the CES 07 Interview...

Are you saying that in this interview where the lead guy from Crytek says, and I quote "so gamers who are running right now with DX9 specifications - high end DX9 or middle end DX9 ... they don't need to be worried about the ability of playing Crysis. Crysis will run on about 2 and a half to 3 year old ... hardware, so it will run on old ... hardware, but to an extent ... of course ... but with DX9 you will be able to get the core game experience." that he didn't actually mean it?

He doesn't speak english very well, so excuse all the "..." where I took out studders, etc...

Are you saying that because IGN isn't a good place to go, he didn't actually say these things at CES 2007?

Right.

WorldIndustries said:
There will be a patch that will make DX9 comptuers run DX10. It may not be an official patch, but there will be one.

Is there a patch that will let DirectX 8 cards run DirectX 9?

What makes you think there will be one for DX10?

I know there wont be a patch for DX9 to run DX10 cause it CANT. There is no way. DX10 is a totally new and different technology. It is not the same as DX9 hence why the hardware is more expensive and much better.

There is no way that a DX9 card could do DX10. It is even tough for DX10 to do DX9. It has to EMULATE it. Which means that it can not do it natively it has to fake it.

Your right not ever gamer will be able to get a new card. I am one of them. But plain and simple they wil take advantage of the new technology. They know in time that people will get the newer cards.

The reason i say this is because when the specs were released Visat was NOT OUT. So of course they wouldnt not have included it. When they update the specs to include Vista then maybe i will believe they were stupid enough to limit themselves to the old technology that is outdated and can not perform like it should.

Until you understand what DX10 can do you dont understand that by them going DX9 they are severly hampering what Crysis could be.

You must be either extremely stubborn, or extremely stupid to continue arguing this.

Lets see, the guys from Crytek say that it will work on DX9 hardware with DX9.

Makaveli213 from techist.com says they are wrong.

The guys from Crytek are in control of developing the game.

Any SANE person would be more inclined to believe the MAKERS of the game, than some noob on some internet forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom