Cleaning a work PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
I was just wondering if there are any programs I can run from a USB Flash Drive that can scan and fix stuff on the PC I use at work.

The Antivirus is up-to-date (only after I rang our IT dept and told them it was two years since the last definition update and that I was locked out of updating myself) but I'm sure there is adware or something going on as I've been getting wierd pop-ups. I had been running Firefox from my flash-drive but that screwed up after an update and I'm still trying to get it working again. I may look for an open-source browser specially designed to work from a removable drive.

At home I use Ad-Aware, CCleaner, Windows Cleanup! and a couple of others all the time but due to access privileges I can't install them onto this PC.

Just wondering if anyone else has these problems and has found an easy way to fix stuff without getting in touch with IT as that would doubtless be a waste of their and my time.
Cheers.

Not a good idea to insult the IT dept, since most of the people here actually work in a IT dept.

good luck getting an answer.

- Apologies, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I was trying to say that I didn't think it was worth mentioning to them as it's not really a huge problem to waste their time on.
We don't have IT staff in the building so they need to drive out to our office which is a little out of the way and tend to get forgotten by the rest of the organisation. This is not to say that IT aren't willing to come out and help, in fact whenever they come out I always end up deep in conversation with them whilst I should be working!
I'm always thankful to anyone who's willing to help me.

- Thanks for your suggestions Superdave, I'll give them a try tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom