Error when playing DVD with any DVD playing software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalW

In Runtime
I bought a PC recently and I swapped the CDROM with my DVD/CDRW combo drive (which I have used for years in my old PC with no playing problems).

Whenever I try to play a DVD I get the error message.
" * has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvinience."

I put * because I have tried many DVD software to try with but have the same error.

I also have an iso of a DVD that I try to mount onto a virtual drive and still get the same error. This makes me believe that it isnt my DVD/CDRW combo drive that has the problem. So what else could it be?

For some reason I thought to try uninstalling my onboard video drivers and run it with none. Of course it didnt work. Then thought to try my old TNT2 card from my old pc. Same error again.

So Im out of idea's...

Any help would be nice :)

Have you tried some codec's? Like KLite? Try installing those and see if it helps any.

I tried it thanks but unfortunatley it didnt work. Still same error.
I'd like to copy/paste the error report if it were any help to anyone except I cant figure out how to copy it
:eek:

Have you tried things like Real Player, Quicktime, PowerDVD, InterActual Player? I know you said you tried everything but what about VLC and Divx?

I have tried:
WINDVD V3.1
WINDVD V8.0
ACTIONDVDPLAYER V?.?
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (Various versions)
VLC V0.8.2

VCL works. Although it doesnt really solve the problem of why the other software dont work. I guess now I'm being picky but prefer WINDVD to work. Ive done some windows updates overnight hoping it would solve something but no. And there is no conflict at all in device manager. Thanks Makaveli213 for the idea of VLC but would very much like to have the ability to use any software that should by rights work as well.

I think this is turning out to be a DRM issue. Are you running Vista and do you have a DRM compatable monitor? I think that is where you are having issues.

If you dual boot try it within XP and see if it works with the applications. If it does there is definately something with the Vista DRM that is blocking it.

Yea sorry it is XP I am running. I just changed my quote with my specs. It is also the same monitor I used on my old PC.

Hmm what kind of video is it? It just seems odd that there is nothing that works with it.

I play any dvd and get the same result.
Original DVD's (I tried Grease, American History X and Robocop (All Reigon 4) and copied DVD's are the same.

If I copy Grease for example into an iso, and mount it the error still appears.

So it is very odd :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom