32 or 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvbutler

Solid State Member
I have a processor thats 64 bit compatible but what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit for windows vista?

the only major difference is patchguard. which is in the 64 bit version. really though, its not worth it. stick with the 32 bit version

ECTech said:
the only major difference is patchguard. which is in the 64 bit version. really though, its not worth it. stick with the 32 bit version

patchguard? :question:

wouldnt it make sense for the 64-bit version to do better then the 32-bit version but can still do everything that the 32-bit version can do too?

Deathawk said:
A 64 bit processor can address more than 4gb of RAM, which a 32bit processor can't do.

well that's no problem for me, i was planning on getting 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM next year anyways, so im good :).

The other major difference is driver and software support. The 32 Bit Vista has more drivers and more software support than the 64 Bit. the 64 Bit has about as much as XP X64 which isnt much.

Stick with 32-Bit until we start seeing more 64-Bit application and Support come out.

Makaveli213 said:
The other major difference is driver and software support. The 32 Bit Vista has more drivers and more software support than the 64 Bit. the 64 Bit has about as much as XP X64 which isnt much.

Yep, to go along with what everyone else said.
My friend works in the governemnt, computer guru doing something. He's got it all, CPU, 3TB of space..etc lol

Some systems run 64bit edition, some run 32bit edition, he said the 64bit edition actually runs 20% slower however it accepts and unlimited amount of memory usage (The amount of cache from CPU, RAM amount & video card amount), but says 32bit only supports upto 4gigs between all of that. Not sure if thats true, but he says thats the only good thing about 64bit edition over 32 he states.:)

64-bit won't be mainstream and well supported until at least the next version of Windows, if not later. I don't know why the majority of modern processors are 64-bit when it really isn't needed yet. By the time it is mainstream, everyone will be getting new computers anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom