Secret Log On

Status
Not open for further replies.

IF06

In Runtime
Is there a way I can create a username that won't show up on the Window's XP Log On Screen without pressing anything, in a way that is only visible when a key is pressed, much like a shortcut key-?

I know it sounds stupid.

You can use the default Administrator account. It doesn't show up on the welcome screen unless you don't have any enabled users. Just press <ctrl><alt><del> twice to bring up the username/password box.

There is a setting in the registry that you can change to make an account invisible at the welcome screen, then to log on, you push ctrl-alt-del and type in the username. Google to find the setting to change in the registry.

Thanks. I just wanted to find something to give to my friend, her parents had unnecessarily put a password to limit her from the computer even when she doesn't go on that much.

EDIT: I can't find anything that has the ctrl-alt-dlt command, all I found was how to hide a username but not how to reveal in in the log on screen with that command.

IF06 said:
EDIT: I can't find anything that has the ctrl-alt-dlt command, all I found was how to hide a username but not how to reveal in in the log on screen with that command.

just push ctrl-alt-del a few times at the logon screen and a window will pop up

Alright, it worked on my old laptop...I've fairly abused the F keys trying other methods to Lol.

My only question is, what's a simpler method to find it on Windows Xp HOME.

The home edition doesn't allow you to view the pop up window through the ctrlatldlt x2 command- the article mentions that it can be accessed through safe mode...

I need a simpler way than this...for me, I can do this, for her, I don't think I'd like to have her calling me up all the time.

if they mostly use a single acct. you could set it for automatic login using the parents acct.

type control userpasswords2 in a run box then select an acct. and uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

But we also have to find a method that the parent won't know about. If they find out they can just automatically log in with being prompted for a password, then something is wrong here.

Logging into administrator in safe mode, I guess would be the simplest method.

Since I'm used to a single account computer, I'm fairly new to multiuser interface. So is it possible that I'd be able to install softwares without the knowledge of other users, maybe have the program installed in some other folder- such as the private My Documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom