To Build? Or Not to build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
I mentioned this before in my past posts. The time is nearing soon where I will get my new system ( still going to wait past april for costs to lower on the core 2 duo and geforce 8s ), anyways I was comparing whether to invest the time and get the parts from newegg and built it or just get a prebuilt system from cyberpowerpc. Anyway most of the arguments against getting a prebuilt system are the additional labor costs, however when I looked up the prices heres what I came up with.

Forgot I had the cost/comparison typed up...anyways heres the comparison between getting the parts from newegg or getting it from cyberpowerpc :

Cyberpower PC cost: $2227.00 ( liquid cooling )

( NO MOUSE AND KEYBOARD )
CASE: Hot New! NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case (Black/Silver Color)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10, 000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
Vista Premium OS

NEW EGG PRICES--

NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower $149.99
Apevia 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply $99.99
View Pic Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 $314.00
Asus P5N32 $249.99
Corsair XMS2 Xtreme $164.00
GeForce 8800 GTX $569.99
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD $209.99
18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAY $35
16X DVD ROM $14
Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer $79.99
shipping fees + extra contingency costs = $100
Operating system of some kind + $100
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium DVD - Retail = $227

Total = $2215

which means thats 12$ for labor costs + a warranty + 24/7 tech support, I think its worth it... I just can't see myself investing all the time in building a high powered system and definately can't afford any mess ups. Whats everyone think?

raptors are a waste of money in my opinion seagate barracudas 7200.10 are nearly as fast but more then half the price. your psu is too big you need about 500w. Ram is a waste get the g-skill (2x1gb) if your going to get vista get the ultimate

Gabb said:
I mentioned this before in my past posts. The time is nearing soon where I will get my new system ( still going to wait past april for costs to lower on the core 2 duo and geforce 8s ), anyways I was comparing whether to invest the time and get the parts from newegg and built it or just get a prebuilt system from cyberpowerpc. Anyway most of the arguments against getting a prebuilt system are the additional labor costs, however when I looked up the prices heres what I came up with.

Forgot I had the cost/comparison typed up...anyways heres the comparison between getting the parts from newegg or getting it from cyberpowerpc :

Cyberpower PC cost: $2227.00 ( liquid cooling )

( NO MOUSE AND KEYBOARD )
CASE: Hot New! NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case (Black/Silver Color)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10, 000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
Vista Premium OS

NEW EGG PRICES--

NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower $149.99
Apevia 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply $99.99
View Pic Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 $314.00
Asus P5N32 $249.99
Corsair XMS2 Xtreme $164.00
GeForce 8800 GTX $569.99
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD $209.99
18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAY $35
16X DVD ROM $14
Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer $79.99
shipping fees + extra contingency costs = $100
Operating system of some kind + $100
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium DVD - Retail = $227

Total = $2215

which means thats 12$ for labor costs + a warranty + 24/7 tech support, I think its worth it... I just can't see myself investing all the time in building a high powered system and definately can't afford any mess ups. Whats everyone think?

thats not right, for one most builders wont use retail versions of products like harddrrives, operating systems. name brands use a tad abit cheaper products ( im not saying cheaper built, just cheaper cost of products ). so the actual price of that pc is more inline with 1700 rather than 2200.... U also place "some operating system of some kind at 100 dollars?" Its like uve added parts that pple who build the pc would normally skip and I bet cyberpower doesn't have.

"shipping fees + extra contingency costs" = $100" ZipZoomFly does not have shipping fees, newegg doesn't have shipping costs on selected parts. You will have to pay shipping from cyberpowerpc and i bet it will be alot more than 100 bucks.

When it comes to name brand pc's you will pay alot more in the end. You could save about 400 - 500 dollars building one ur self.
They also use the cheapest ram around, ive never seen a brand use good quality ram!

As for as waiting, don't be those types. For one pc's are like cars. When u are going with the best, your gonna be wasting some money in the end and its unavoidable. all your gonna be saving by waiting is like 50 dollars or alike, not worth the wait if you ask me.

saltynay said:
raptors are a waste of money in my opinion seagate barracudas 7200.10 are nearly as fast but more then half the price. your psu is too big you need about 500w. Ram is a waste get the g-skill (2x1gb) if your going to get vista get the ultimate

Hmm I took your advice and looked into the barracuda 7200.10 hard drives. Space isn't really important to me, but the drives in performance speed wise doesn't seem to be very far behind the WD Raptors....any second opinions? Ive heard really good things about the corsiar xms ram...also there seems to be no need to get vista ultimate.

G.Skill > Corsair XMS.

Corsair has been having alot of problems latley, G.Skill is the brand to go with at the moment.

Yep that's right. Another thing tno note as I believe someone stated is that the parts you are getting are extremely limited from cyberpowerpc. You are getting only what brands they have deals with and are getting certain parts cheap. The Corsair XMS2 is horrible overclocking RAM compared to a brand like G.Skill or so. The PSU you get from cyberpower are Apevia which aren't very trusted as well. That 420w that comes with the case I would not trust to run my high power system EVER either .The motherboards that they give you are horrible choices for the money. The last time I looked at their Core 2 mobo's I did not see one I liked at all.

Bottom line is, Cyberpowerpc's options are EXTREMELY limited in comparison to newegg. Taking piece by piece from newegg what they are going to sell you will be very close in comparison just becuase they get deals from the manufacturers on certain parts.

Trust me in the end you will get a better system for your money after you've checked what's best.

beware of cyberpower and that cheap power supply

my old system i bought from them they had to replace the power supply three times and i had to send it back to them each time. not to mention that i had to replace the mobo twice and the hard drive twice.. i just think they use cheap parts and there tech support well----- if u can understand indian they might be able to help...

i just built my new system and yes it cost just as much as cyberpower same system but i got great parts nun of these crummy parts that just keep pooping out ---any way i say build......

Re: Re: To Build? Or Not to build?

antialias1337 said:
thats not right, for one most builders wont use retail versions of products like harddrrives, operating systems. name brands use a tad abit cheaper products ( im not saying cheaper built, just cheaper cost of products ). so the actual price of that pc is more inline with 1700 rather than 2200.... U also place "some operating system of some kind at 100 dollars?" Its like uve added parts that pple who build the pc would normally skip and I bet cyberpower doesn't have.

"shipping fees + extra contingency costs" = $100" ZipZoomFly does not have shipping fees, newegg doesn't have shipping costs on selected parts. You will have to pay shipping from cyberpowerpc and i bet it will be alot more than 100 bucks.

When it comes to name brand pc's you will pay alot more in the end. You could save about 400 - 500 dollars building one ur self.
They also use the cheapest ram around, ive never seen a brand use good quality ram!

As for as waiting, don't be those types. For one pc's are like cars. When u are going with the best, your gonna be wasting some money in the end and its unavoidable. all your gonna be saving by waiting is like 50 dollars or alike, not worth the wait if you ask me.

Most computer builders would skip getting an operating system? ( in this case Vista premium ) That doesn't make sense...

The parts I mentioned are just fine that builders would use. The corsair xms ram isn't cheap ram and has gotten very good reviews, although a bit of the forum people don't like its inability to overclock.

You say its not worth waiting, yet you fail to realize ATI R600 is coming out soon ( as well as new geforce 8 cards which will lower costs on all previous cards ) and all the core 2 duo processors will be lowered in price 30-40%, ( http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=735045&starttime=0&endtime=0 ) if you say this isn't worth waiting this makes me think you have no idea what your talking about.

The shipping for cyberpower pc is 65 dollars, which is under your 100+ estimate. Newegg DOES have shipping costs on most of their products. Your 400-500 estimate is WAAAY off, even if my calculations are off most the labor costs will be not more then 200. For all the hassle + 24/7 tech support + warranty, I think its worth it...

Izzjess said:
beware of cyberpower and that cheap power supply

my old system i bought from them they had to replace the power supply three times and i had to send it back to them each time. not to mention that i had to replace the mobo twice and the hard drive twice.. i just think they use cheap parts and there tech support well----- if u can understand indian they might be able to help...

i just built my new system and yes it cost just as much as cyberpower same system but i got great parts nun of these crummy parts that just keep pooping out ---any way i say build......

Why not just get your own power supply then? If my PSU does die out I can get a new one and install it myself. The mobo I speak of has gotten good reviews. Crummy parts? I didn't know a EVGA Geforce 8, WD raptor, corsair xms ram, Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i were considered crummy parts! In fact I consider them to be among the best "parts."

Really no other replies? Thats surprising coming from a forum that strongly advocates a cost saving benefit from building a computer compared to buying a prebuilt one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom