ASUS P4P800-E-Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdgerjmn

Solid State Member
Just put together a new PC with an ASUS P4P800-E-Deluxe, WD 250MB 100mbs HDD, ATI Radeon 9600 SE 128MB, 512 MB DDR RAM, and a CD-RW drive. WinXP Pro OS. Pretty basic setup. When I boot up from a cold start I get an error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". If i press a key with a Win XP CD or Startup floppy in the drive it does nothing, even with the BIOS set up to boot from the CD/Floppy or vice versa, and just reverts back to the same error. If I cold start the machine and enter the BIOS, the HD does not show up initiallywith auto detect enabled, but if I open up the auto detect line in the BIOS it shows up. I reboot from there and the machine boots just ine. If I just hit CNTL/ALT/DEL from the boot media error it boots just fine and works 4.0. I have chatted with ASUS on this one and from reading alot of tech forums it seems like a pretty common issue with ASUS MOBOs. I have reseated the cables, cleared the CMOS, changed the CMOS battery(thinking that maybe the CMOS is dumping-ASUS told me to do this as well) to no avail. I have tried putting the HDD on the secondary IDE port to no avail. ASUS seems to be sending me in circles on this one. Is it a 100/133 compatibility issue. If it is why would it boot on the second time around. It seems as if the BIOS is not finding the HD soon enough before it kicks in the error message but with a restart via CNTL/ALT/DEL it keeps the HDD info in there and boots fine. Any ideas?

The only detect time that I can find in the BIOS is under IDE configuration. It is defaulted to 35. I've tried several settings on that detection time to no avail.

Still no luck on the first boot. I've pretty much run out of ideas. I think it is a BIOS issue that ASUS needs to fix.

Disconnect the hard drive completely and see if you can boot into a CD or boot disk atleast. If it does then it must have something to do with the hdd.
Can the board support 250gb?

(you did mean 250gb right? not 250mb?)

make sure you have the latest bios... those Asus boards are known to be manufactured with older BIOS versions..

Board has latest BIOS. I've tried reseating the cables and using different cables. According to ASUS 250GB is fine. It's an ATA drive and the board can support 133mb/s even though mine is 100 ASUS says its fine. Is there a detection time in the BIOS? Some said that the detection time is defaulted to zero. I havn't seen that written anywhere.

ASUS Boot Issue

Ok guys, I am a complete moron. As I started to install my backup HD for the file transfer to backup before reformatting the 250, I noticed the jumper was set to master with slave as it should have been with the 30GB drive in as well. I set the jumpers to single master and voila it works like a champ without reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows. I can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for all the help though.

Bdger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom