3 questions about this PSU im deciding on getting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
1) im just curious, how does a 6-pin connector or an 8-pin connector connects to a PCI-E slot to give it power?

2) ive heard 6-pin connectors r used for PCI-E slots on mobos today, n i understand that all mobos currently support PCI-E v1.1, now my question is this, would i need an 8-pin connector to connect to a mobo that supports PCI-E v2.0 in the future when AM3 comes around or what?

3) PFC, important to have correct?

here's a PSU im looking into to get so i can use an R600 *buy at the same time, hopefully* n im planning on getting another R600 or R680 at the end of this year. I'm currently using a 550w PSU that came with my case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256010

EDIT:

ive someone can clear on what these 6-pin n 8-pin connectors r used exactly, then ill change to a differ PSU. I'm planning on getting AMD's second quad-core, Budapest, an AM3 mobo, 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM all Q1-Q2 2008 or so.

EDIT 1:

i bolded question 1 n 2, because i really need those 2 questions answered, because i read that 6-pin n 8-pin connectors r used for connecting to PCI-E slots *i think* n i need to know this before i buy or even decided on getting this PSU. EXPERT NEEDED HERE PLZ!

PFC is good. You might have to pay more for it but it's more efficient than non-PFC.

Jrod said:
PFC is good. You might have to pay more for it but it's more efficient than non-PFC.

right, right, i thought so...........got any suggestions about my first 2 questions? REALLY, all im trying to do is to be prepared to support PCI-E v2.0 mobos when they come Q1-Q2 2008 or so. Reason y i ask about 6-pin n 8-pin so i dont screw up, IM PREPARING MY SELF FOR ONE OF THE BEST COMPUTERS EVER MADE!!! :-D *sry if i sound like a duffis when i used bold letters*.

Haha..no prob. I actually don't have much experience with putting comps together yet, just been doing a lot reading, so I'll let one of these other knowledgeable guys answer your first two questions.

How are AM3's supposed to be compared to C2D's btw?

*edit*
That psu you linked to is a monster. I doubt you'll need 1000w. Maybe check out the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

Jrod said:
Haha..no prob. I actually don't have much experience with putting comps together yet, just been doing a lot reading, so I'll let one of these other knowledgeable guys answer your first two questions.

How are AM3's supposed to be compared to C2D's btw?

*edit*
That psu you linked to is a monster. I doubt you'll need 1000w. Maybe check out the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

cool, but u've done good reading, u would know that the high-end of all R600 GPUs being made *rumored X2900 XTX* will consume 270w, 12.9" - OEM, 240w 9.6" - retail n ive been thinking of getting the OEM.

EDIT:

my whole computer right now consumes, probably around 350-400.

If you're willing to spend a fork load of money on a PSU that you won't use till future products come out, and you don't really know the products power usage, then go for that PSU, however.... I think your best choice would be to buy the r600s and the PSU at the same time, when you know how much power they will use. And by then, you'll know what you should buy.

Deathawk said:
If you're willing to spend a fork load of money on a PSU that you won't use till future products come out, and you don't really know the products power usage, then go for that PSU, however.... I think your best choice would be to buy the r600s and the PSU at the same time, when you know how much power they will use. And by then, you'll know what you should buy.

excatly my point on getting a 1000w PSU, but the reason i chose this PSU is because it has 2 x 8-pin connectors for PCI-E v2.0 *if im right* n i was planning on getting a Crossfire mobo anyways, but any of u confirm on what the differ of 6-pin n 8-pin n what r the uses?

all i can think about is that the 6-pin connectors r used for PCI-E v1.1 slots we have now, n 8-pin connectors for PCI-E v2.0.

Lol that's probably the most wasted 345 bucks I can think of in a build...1000w will never be used as people don't want to pay a fortune for their electric any time soon.

Yeah..I wouldn't base a $350 psu purchase on internet rumors. It's good to start looking into parts and plan ahead like you're doing though.

Jrod said:
Yeah..I wouldn't base a $350 psu purchase on internet rumors. It's good to start looking into parts and plan ahead like you're doing though.

thx, appreciate it. I'll edit first post so i can get everyones attention on one question i need answered about 6-pin n 8-pin because it seems like no one knows the answer to what they r used for or what they do, i was looking into this PSU because it support 2 x 8-pin connectors that i read can be used for PCI-E n i think it means for PCI-E v2.0 mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom