I am tired of Noobs on Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

RepuLse

In Runtime
Personally, I find there is one serious problem with newegg. It is probably not what you might guess and may seem superfluous. The problem lies within the rating system of various computer-related products. I, for one, am tired of seeing people who blatantly give themselves a "high" understanding mark upon rating a product. Then state that the product has problems which suspiciously resemble a connectivity, noob, and/or nieveness issue. Also, if you did not buy a product, please don't give "heads-up" advice saying a product is good or not. Finally, if you think you are an expert on a particular field and rate a product 2 eggs out of 5 because one of the functions failed your expectations, then you deserve to d*e (ie. "I give this a 4 out of 5 because the lightscribe I thought would be darker). Please, next time, take everyone's input and reactions into consideration when rating a product as it surely annoys techies and honest people alike. Thank you for reading and remember to wear your anti-static wrist strap.

Well, I'm most definitely a tech noob, but the phenomenon of which you speak isn't relegated strictly to technology discussions.

One thing the internet has done is to empower every ***-reaming retard with a keyboard to “speak his mind” on any given issue, whether he is qualified to do so or not.
Things like “Blogs” or Wikipedia are classic examples of this, Wikipedia being the worst. It's the only place in the world where a plumber from Sheboygan can edit the writings of a heart surgeon on a medical article because he "feels" he knows better.

Any “rating system” that is open to the public will be replete with horribly unqualified opinions and inaccurate conclusions.

The desire to comment without qualification is a personality disorder that afflicts some people and doesn't afflict others. You will find it in every area of interest, from computers to art to aircraft to cars, etc, etc, etc...

Haha, nice rant dude. I know exactly what you mean. Or when they give "Price too high" or something as a con of the product.

Or someone writes a review for something older, like a 6600gt and says Cons: "Not as fast as a 8800gtx". People that type stuff like that really bugs me.

I specially hate those giving 1 egg out of 5 because the product was DOA. Reality: manufacturers produce parts in large volumes, and it's not only understandable but even predictable that a small percentage will have fabrication defects. The fact that the product was DOA does not speak about its inherent quality, but rather about the fact that the fabrication and QA processes are not perfect. A company will usually prefer having to RMA the small percentage of bad parts than double their QA processing.

However, I disagree with Noohbee on the topic of Wikipedia. It has a very good editing community that will thoroughly check any modifications. If your plumber from Sheboygan is right about the heart surgery article he edited, then what difference does it make if he's a plumber? And if the addition is erroneous, trust me, it'll get spotted and corrected really fast.

Totally agree. I am a noob and it makes research hard when unqualified people rate products on newegg. Personally, I want to read the ratings that experienced builders leave, not those of some noob who didn't know how to install their PSU for instance, and is in turn blaming this problem on the PSU rather than their own ignorance! Newegg should implement some sort of test for customers who want to rate products. This test would be a requirement and passing it would demonstrate an adequate level of understanding of the product being rated before allowing the user to throw in his or her two pennies.

I like your input leje0306. However, if Newegg implemented a test then it be more time consuming then it has to. Therefore the vast number of reviews Newegg is known for will be disintegrated. Unfortunately, I don't think the reviewing system will change but if a product gets enough reviews, one terrible review out of 1000 won't affect the ultimate grade.

Well, I think there's a way to report whether a review is helpful or not. That's a solution to the problem if people reading the reviews spend a little time rating them. That way, bad reviews will quickly accumulate a lot of "not helpful" marks, and they could eventually be removed when certain threshold is met.

Ah well, that's the internet... Everyone is an expert now :cool:

The ones I love on graphics cards are "get 2 for SLI and have the bestest computer on the market!!!11!1"

RepuLse said:
I like your input leje0306. However, if Newegg implemented a test then it be more time consuming then it has to. Therefore the vast number of reviews Newegg is known for will be disintegrated. Unfortunately, I don't think the reviewing system will change but if a product gets enough reviews, one terrible review out of 1000 won't affect the ultimate grade.

If Newegg's review volume decreased because of loss of stupidity, it would be losing nothing. But you are correct, RepuLse, a testing system would serve as a deterrent even to qualified reviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom