Advice on a *hopefully* high end rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrelgun

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I need some advice on my first ever build. I know next to nothing and am open to any advice or comments you may make about my choices. I want it to be the best computer possible with a $3000AUD budget.

This is what I've chosen so far, based on the reviews I've read at Tigerdirect.

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz / 4MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Conroe / Dual-Core / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan
Price: $480AUD

CPU Fan- Cooler Master Vortex TX / Socket A/754/939/775/370 / Full Copper / CPU Cooling Fan (1 lbs)
Available While Supplies Last $34.99 $34.99

Case- NZXT Lexa Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports
$99.99

RAM- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail $200

Motherboard- Intel 975XBX2KR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Viiv Ready / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID
$306

Harddrives- 2x Seagate / Barracuda 7200.10 / 500GB / 7200 / 16MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive
$290AUD each

DVD Tray- Sony DRU830A-K / 18x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD+RW / 6x DVD-RW / 8x DVD±R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / 48x32x CD-R/RW / Internal / Black / DVD Burner - Retail

Video Card- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked / 320MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV /
$730AUD

PSU- Corsair 520w Modular PSU w/12cm fan, 20+4 pin ATX, 2x PCI-E video power, 8x HDD, 2x FDD, 4x SATA, 4-pin / 8-pin SSI
$247.50

Thanks in advance

:)

Edit: Thanks Sora! ^^
Edit: Oh 975! xD
Edit: Removed the psu, changed the ram.
Edit: Added the video card :eek:
Edit: Changed some prices to AUD

Do you have a 975 AND a 680i mobo in their??? Im conufsed as that's what it looks like.

Also that ram is complete overkill, it is very fast but also very expensive.

Ok um i'm confused by two motherboards for now and also do you have to have a Quad Core? The E6600 will actually perform just as good if not better in some cases right now for about 670 bucks less. I just think theres a lot that can be worked with since Quad Cores are not fully supported yet and the E6600 will be plenty enough power for a while which there you can upgrade to a Quad Core when they are in mainstream and cheap. Still though the motherboards are confusing me.

Wow haha I go have 2 motherboards.. don't know what I was thinking there. Which motherboard should I go with? And if it's just as good, I'll definitely go with a E6600 ^^

Thanks for the incredibly quick reply!

I would get the 975 since I think it's more stable and less buggy as the 680i.

Also yes the E6600 isn't much slower than the QX6700 stock, and after overclocked faster since Dual Cores have barley been utilized let alone 4 cores. The E6600 is the best Dual core in terms of the performance for price today.

Ok thank you! I'll update my post now. Is there anything else I should remove/change/add? I think I'll purchase the parts from newegg.com, but their page isn't loading atm.

I just looked and the 975X boards are better than I thought, they are a lot less buggy than the 680i so go with one of those instead.

Also as stated the dominator RAM is NOT worth the price as really fast ram doesn't make that much of a difference.

Save yourself some money and go with this RAM instea das G.Skill is amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084

It may look cheap as it's almost half the price but trust me when I tell you this, That is amazing ram for the price and will suffice your needs.

Then for your Case and powersupply you choose could you link them? I would like them see them.

The reason I've picked parts off of Tigerdirect is because Newegg won't load for some reason. Could you plz give me the name of the ram so I can Google it?

Oh, I think I found it in another post. Is it this one:
RAM - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail $170

^^

The case is probably alright but I have never heard of Ultra PSU and I don't trust PSU's that come iwith the case, no matter what the brand, so that's a double minus for that PSU. So after I figure out this next question i'll reccomend a PSU.

I don't see an aftermarket video card in there which means if you don't have one lined up you will since those mobos don't have them. Do you have a video card already lined up or in your possesion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom