Fast Computer- Slow Startup, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakoom2002

Baseband Member
I have an AMD Athlon XP 64 3700 2.2 GHZ Processor with 2GB of Ram. My computer is moderately fast but I have really slow starup speeds, it seems to start up fairly normal untill it gets to loading my desktop and it takes about 20 seconds untill my icons even show up. My brother have a 1.8 GHZ AMD Athlon and 1 Gig of ram and his computer loads much faster. I have even disabled all unnecessary startup programs from msconfig...any tips?

Run a reg cleaner. I recommend registry mechanic. Its not free, but very effective

try using ccleaner !
free and very good .. also try to disable thing u dont use ..
try defragmenting ur hard disk .. scan for bad sectors ..

thats all of what i can think of right now .. hope it will fix ur probliem !

Do you run Vista while he runs XP? That would also account for the difference in startup speed.

I tried CCleaner and Registry Mechanic/ It found some stuff and fixed it but its still loading slow. I disabled the welcome screen by going to Run>control userpasswords 2 and now it just bypasses. my computer will load up and a little dialog box will come up and it will saying its loading personal settings etc, and mean while my desktop background picture will already load and then the dialog box will disappear and it will sit there with just a blank desktop and then about 30 seconds later it will load all my desktop shortcuts (apprx. 30). I only have 3 startup programs, my linksys wireless adapter, zone alarm and azureus.

R u running Vista or XP?. Anyways, check which programs are starting up along with Windows.

Start>>run>>msconfig>>startup
Disable all the programs that are not needed.

Also check if this is a problem with the profile.
Create a new user & log in with that account. See if the startup time is different from user to user.

Damnit This is Really ****ing me off. Let me do another Break Down.

My Computer
Asus A5N8X MotherBoard
AMD Athlon 64 XP 3700+ 2.2 GHZ Processor
2 GB DDRam

Brothers Computer:
Dell Laptop
Intel Pentium M Processor 1.73 GHZ
.99 GB DDRam

My Computer Startup Progs:
Azuerus Bit Torrent Client
Linksys Wireless Adapter
Zone Alarm
2 Icons on Desktop

Brothers Startup Progs:
Norton Security Suite
Windows Update
iTunes
Linksys Wireless Adapter
QuickTime
PowerISO
About 40 Icons on Desktop

HIS COMPUTER STARTS UP ABOUT TWICE AS FAST.

I tried screwing with my startup items and removing all the ones I didnt needed and it left me with 3 items. It didnt startup any faster, I tried removing a bunch of startup services and it seemed to startup faster but then the iternert would not work. Please can anybody help me. Is there a startup diagnostic program out there or something. I have already tried doing a full virus scan, adware scan, and registry mechanic and ccleaner, nothing will work.

Try this it worked well on my system.

search onecare live

click on windows live care home link

click on saftey scanner

Then full service scan, agree to the agreement and then it will prompt you the rest of the way through the program.

It's a program by microsoft and it works. I heard about it from a computer pro my dad knows.

Disable your popup blocker when using this.

As a last option you can always back up your data and reinstall. Its a pain, but at least you know it will work. Besides you should reinstall about every year because despite you greatest efforts they will slowly deteriorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom