best setup for movie editing please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostman79

Solid State Member
Hey there guys, my dad's been bugging me about getting together a PC tower for him so he can edit videos, I did a search for this topic but didnt find anything so I decided to post a topic. Though I prefer amd I hear Pentiums are better for video editing is that true? I'm more of a gamer/programmer so I dont mess with video editing much, so wich type of mobo/cpu/memory/video card combos would you reccommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have the tower/HD/cd drives, and do not plan on spending more than 900 on the mobo/cpu/memory/video card combo.

that depends on ur budget, heres one of the best budget setups money can buy

Intel Core 2 Duo e6300
Gigabyte Ds-3 (its the same one in my sig)
Nvidia eVGA 8800 GTS or 7900 gt if u wanna save more
Some 2GB kit or just buy 2, 1 gb kingstons or something

that should set u at about 900 if u take the 8800 or 750 if u take the 7900

enjoy!!

Hey thanx for the suggestion, I did a search for the mobo, but didnt find any gigabyte ds-3's on Pricewatch, and there are a few of them ds3's on newegg. Where else is a good place to buy these parts? The 965p is more current than the 965g right? but the 965p comes with no onboard video so if the video card ever fries, it'll be dead til i get one right?

Oh yea another thing, I have been using Kingston memory for awhile now and they work just fine, are Corsairs just as good or better? and the geforce 7900 will do just fine for video editing right? Would any lower than the 7900 reduce the efficiency of the PC when it comes to just video editing?

Thanx for the info nitestick, what about the mobos? If I'm gonna get a geforce 7900, should I just get the gigabyte 965p ds3 with no onboard video? Do you think Corsairs memory would be better over Kingston?

I noticed that none of them geforce video cards have the video input jacks, like the ones that you directly hook up a camcorder to or dvd player to it, do they make an adaptor for that kinda project?

saltynay said:
id reccomend the

mobo: abit AW9d-max
Cpu: E6400
Ram: G-skill 3gb 3x1gb
psu: Antec trio 550w
Videocard: 7800gt

Thanx for the recommendation saltynay, do you do any video editing with your rig? Do you think getting the 7800 will speed up the video decoding time over the 7900?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom