U320 Scsi Raid 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjollimore

Solid State Member
I have a server that has an Adaptec controller and 3 Fujitsu 36GB U320 SCSI drives. These work perfectly. I then added a fourth drive, a Fujitsu 73GB (same specs as the other 3), and it works fine. Added another 36GB partition for the array and set up the other 36GB as a standalone partition.

But it only shows up as a U160 drive. I switched drive locations (they're in a hot-swap cage) and it showed up as U320, but the 36GB drive now in that location shows as U160. So I got another drive cage. Same thing.

So now I'm thinking termination is the issue. Here is the setup:

> or V = cable
- or | = hard connection
(And the formatting sucks, pay no attention to the periods)

Card>>>>Cage bottom----Cage Top
....................V
.............Terminator

There's no terminator on the connector at the top of the HD cage.

The server I got the test cage from has two cages:

Card>>>Cage2 Top--Cage2 Bottom>>Cage1 Bottom--Cage1 Top
......................................................................................|
...............................................................................Terminator

Even though the cable in the middle has three connectors (the middle isn't terminated) this makes more sense to me, and that the terminator 'hanging' from the cable in the first example isn't doing it's job, or isn't set up correctly in the first place (should be off the Cage Top connection).

Anyone care to clarify?

No replies? I feel so...abandoned!!! *Sob* :)

Turns out the answer was termination. Yesterday I plugged a terminator into the 'Cage Top' connector, which showed the 4th drive as U320. Yay! Unfortunately, the terminator won't fit on the connector when it's in the case, so I'll have to get one on a small cable.

FYI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom