Monitor and USB port problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelwoo

Beta member
Hey guys looking for some advice...

We have this old Tiny computer, I think it is nearing the end of its life but we would like to keep it going for as long as possible.

Just recently it has started showing a problem where the monitor does not recognise the computer i.e. if the monitor is on (standby) and you boot the computer up, the power light on the monitor remains on amber. If you disconnect the monitor lead the power light turns green and the screen displays some 'can't find signal' message.

Additionally, none of the (2) USB ports will power up the devices off them, leading me to suspect a problem with power to the I/O ports.

The computer itself boots up ok (I think.... it is difficult to tell without the monitor) and the lights come on. I have also had the side off and both fans function correctly as do both CD drives (power available)

Having had a look inside the computer I can see no trailing leads or signs of short/open circuits (no broken components or blackening)

Would appreciate your advice as to what the problem may be, or any other checks to carry out. Also do you think it is terminal as would like to repair the computer as cheaply as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys, I have removed all connections within the computer and checked them, all seems fine. I have visually inspected the graphics card and it appears in good order.

I do not suspect the monitor as the power light turns from amber to green as soon as the monitor lead from the computer is removed. Therefore (to me) it appears that the correct signals aren't reaching the monitor. (I know very little about computers... but the monitor (when connected to the computer) is behaving like it does when the computer is shut down (amber light on monitor) therefore I assume the correct signal from the computer to the monitor telling it to switch on from standby isn't happening. I haven't seen a pin out of a monitor lead but must assume there is a power line that informs the monitor when to switch on???)

Also I do not think it is a PSU problem, as when you switch the computer on, there is obviously power from the PSU, through the switching unit(?) and to the motherboard as both the fans for the PSU and processor come on and the lights on the front of the computer are lit.

I believe it is probably a power issue to the input/output ports as the USB ports did not provide any power either. I know this because we have a USB mouse that would glow red if connected to the computer when on and it does not. Also we have a 4-way USB hub that does not light up when connected. I could not check the other ports as it is difficult without the monitor.

I have tried disconnecting all peripherals bar the monitor and this does not change anything.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom