Copy and paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl1

Solid State Member
I have a user that is having problems with the copy function in Office. One minute it will work and the next it won't work anymore. What will happen is the user will be copying and pasting normally then it seems as though the copy function will stop working, no new copies will be stored in the clipboard and only the last item she copied will paste. This happens using both the short cut keys and/or from the office toolbar. The clipboard only has a few items stored in it. Usually if she waits long enough it will start working again. But sometimes it doesn't starting working again right away. It is a problem because she is trying to get work done but it hinders her from getting done. I have tried reinstalling office and installing updates without any help. This is a Windows XP SP2 machine, with Office XP, AS400 emulator, Adobe Reader, and Officescan client installed.

Does she connect to an IBM midrange ? Is she using the emulator @ the time
can she prdict when it will happen ? like it always happens in 10 minutes or half an hour ? is it more random where it does not happen everyday. If does happen everyday within a short time have her , just for a test, use safe mode. Safe mode uses just the drivers needed and eliminates most spyware and viruses.
So she cuts from word and pastes in word right ?

Yes she cuts from word and pastes to word. When you look at clipboard there can be about 7 items already pasted but for some reason no more can be added. She uses the emulater everyday, it is just a simple IP emulation client software. After reloading Office it stopped for 2 - 3 days and now has started again. It was happening everyday before the install.

I can't add more items to the Office Clipboard.

There may already be 24 items on the Office Clipboard If you copy more than 24 items, the Office Clipboard will delete the first item that you copied and then collect the twenty-fifth item. Collected items remain on the Office Clipboard until you close all Office programs that are running on your computer.

To begin copying items again, delete some items, or click Clear All in the Clipboard task pane.

There may be large items on the Office Clipboard The Office Clipboard may stop adding items — even if there are fewer than 24 — if you copy large items to it. The Office Clipboard stores a maximum of one-sixteenth of the amount of physical memory on your computer.

Note If the computer is running Microsoft Windows Terminal Server, the Office Clipboard can store up to 8 megabytes (MB) of data.

To begin copying items again, delete some items or click Clear All in the Clipboard task pane.

You may be attempting to copy an item with an unsupported format There are some items that cannot be copied to the Office Clipboard, because the format that they are in is not supported.
That's directly from the troubleshooting in Office
It's probably the size variable, I'd try adding RAM and seeing if it happens afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom