sharing files between a vista computer and an xp computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am having a bit of trouble with sharing files between the computers in my house, all the computers show up from my computer (running vista) but from my dads computer (running xp) my computer doesn't even show up on the network. does anyone know how I can get my computer to show up on the network so I can share files?

run the network setup wizard, and join it to the same workgroup

you should be able to "C Share" into the computer regardless:
\\computer name\c$

on the xp comp, go to [run] and type cmd
once the [cmd] box comes up, type "ipconfig" then press [enter]
get the IP address (should be 192.168....)

on one of the vista machines, type "ping 192.168...." (put the actual IP) then press [enter]
see if you get a response or a time out.

baronvongogo said:
I have this same problem...my vista pc can see the other xp pc but if I go to the xp pc it wont recognise the vista pc :( They are on the same workgroup and folders are open to be shared.

Had same problem. My old xp computer couldn't access my new vista computer but the vista computer could access the xp computer.

After over a week of troubleshooting I found the problem which I was going to uninstall anyway because I like to run AVG Free.

Problem was the stinking Mcafee that was preloaded on the vista computer.

Uninstalled it and my computers comunicate with no problems.
I am running AVG Free on both computers now with no problems.

The Mcafee wants to take over your computer which can really lead to some headaches!

Hope this helps.

I have gotten it to the point where xp can see the vista computers shared folders but can not access them

in the protocols list, make sure file and print sharing is turned on
also make sure client for microsoft networks is installed and turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom