Help! Connecting Computer to HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsinsane

Solid State Member
I am attempting to hook my computer to my Samsung Slimfit HDTV (using a DVI to HDMI cable).

However, my TV still says "No Signal" after playing around with all of the display options in ATI Catalyst Control Center.

Any ideas would be appreciated,
thatsinsane

Right click on the desktop, go to Properties -> Settings tab and click on the box with a "2" in it. Just the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

The SlimFit series is only about 2 years old and therefore the TV's don't have DVI and have HDMI instead. I think most newer HDTVs are like that, HDMI replacing DVI for digital input.

Anyhow, there shouldn't be a problem with the cable because it's a brand new Monster I just received today.

As for the TV, I doubt there would be a problem because it does have HDMI and in the source menu even has the option to label the HDMI as "Computer".

However, I did read somewhere that older HDMI versions cannot display computer signals. Could this be the problem?

Anyhow, I phoned Samsung Tech. Support and got now where so please, if anybody knows how to do this, please help me.

Okay well I left this issue alone for a while but the other night when I was browsing through Catalyst Control Center I noticed something. My TV was showing up as a "Digital Panel"! Yay! Finaly I had gotten somewhere.

Now that it is reconized, why does the TV still not display an image? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

-thatsinsane

thatsinsane said:
I tried that and all possible configurations in Catalyst and Windows and nothing is working.

I too use Catalyst and it works beautifully on my sharp 56"dlp. However, mine is hooked up via rgb cable. The dvi to hdmi is hooked up to a Olevia 32"(main monitor) and both tv's look awesome. Good luck.

Okay well when looking in Catalyst, the only two resolution options it gives me are 1776*1000 (@ 30 Hz) or 1920*1080 (@ 30 or 60 Hz) although my HDTV does support 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

However when looking in Windows Display Properities it gives me just about anything from 800*600 to 1920*1080. Nothing I choose in Display Properties or Catalyst will work.

Could this perhaps be a problem with the TV? When I phoned Samsung Tech, they said there could be a problem with the HDMI port on the TV and to try plugging something else HDMI into it. However I don't have anything else HDMI and I kinda doubt it's mal-functioning because Catalyst actualy recognizes it as a SAMSUNG digital panel.

Has anybody tried putting a digital signal through to a HDTV Tube before? I'm getting kinda fed up!

-thatsinsane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom