Upgrading a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared17

In Runtime
Hey everyone, haven't been on in a long time, been pretty busy. You all have helped me in the past so I thought I might be able to get your help again.

My grandpa gave me his old laptop, which is basically in brand new condition. Except for the fact he doesn't believe in defragmenting a harddrive so the harddrive is a mess. Thats where the upgrade comes in though.

Is it possible for a DIYer like myself to upgrade the harddrive, and processor in a laptop?

My laptop is an Acer 3502 LCi. I definatly would like to upgrade the harddrive, its only 40 gigs, and I'm going to be using the computer for school and I'd rather not lug around an external harddrive.

The laptop uses a socket 479 processor, and I know there are core 2 duos that would work for it, but I'm not sure if I can do it myself. Which I would rather do.

That is all for now, I really appreciate any help you can give me:)

Jared

well i would guess so as you can buy bare bone kits for building your own laptop. The parts are suppose to be expensive though . I would upgrade if I was you get some more ram a 2.5" harddrive i think are laptops and a T series core 2 duo an you will have a good machine.

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt. I was looking at the T series core 2's. They are about the same price as desktop processors so thats not a huge deal. The processor I can deal with for right now, its the lack of memory and storage I want to address first, but I'll definatly be replacing the processor soon.

I wasn't too sure what size of hard drive a laptop had, thank you for clarifying:)

They look pretty pricey too, but thats a price I'll have to pay I guess.

Jared

The Hard drive can easily be upgraded. (just find out if its ATA or SATA)

The Core 2 Duo will only work if you have a 945 chipset or higher and you have the latest BIOS. A 945 chipset with a Core Duo will not be able to run with a Core 2 duo without the latest BIOS.

I think the 479 slots are only on the older chipsets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom