Friend Needs New CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedly

Solid State Member
Hello all!!

I have a friend who is interested in buying just a new desktop CPU. If I have the wording wrong, I apologize.

I have never purchased a computer without putting together a whole package, so when she asked me as a favor, I told her I'd look into it for her.

Basically she wants to spend about $400.00. She already has everything she needs, asside from the cpu/tower, etc...

I am looking for any advice you could give about this. I/she realize that for that amount she's not gonna be very high-tech, but all she does is check email, play solitaire, use Word, and a few other low powered apps.

Thank you for any advice!!

Reedly.

Merlin,

She has a computer that is at least 6 years old. I know she's got like 4 gig of space, who knows how much RAM, but I absolutely don't know what motherboard she has.

Can you explain what your heading toward?? I'm interested. Her goal is to get a brand new computer, but she doesn't need too many bells and whistles.

Thanks,
Reedly.

When if she wants a new computer that is one thing and we will need to start from the beginning, but if she just wants a new CPU, then we would need to know what type of the socket the CPU fits into to and what FSB the mobo is to know what the fastest processor available is:confused:

I see...

I figured I had the terminology incorrect. She wants a new desktop computer. I was afraid calling it a CPU might be wrong...My apologies.

She has an old computer system with monitor, keyboard, printer, etc...but she'd like a new tower/computer/box, etc...

I have some intermediate knowledge in helping her find one, but I thought I'd ask here as to a good place to start searching for one, since I've only purchased whole system packages, etc...

This really isn't a very highly technical question...just an information request.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion. In fact...what is the best word for what she's looking for??

Reedly

She is looking to build herself a new computer;)

OK, well, then I recommend that you look at the link Lost gave you above, they are the best place to buy parts from;) Cheap, quality, fast shipping and quite often free shipping:)

OK, first you'll want to look for a Motherboard and CPU.....

For CPU I recommend a AMD Athlon XP 2800+, its about $100 to $120 bucks and is more than enough for general computing....

As for the motherboard you are looking for one that supports the Athlon XP socket, which is Socket A.....Not Slot A, but Socket A;) I recommend brands like ASUS, Abit or Gigabyte:) Look for also one with a nForce2 chipset....That chipset has good onboard audio so you won't need a sound card. Motherboards are pretty cheap about $100 if not less;)

Then you'll want a hard drive. 80 gigabytes should due, and make sure it is a 7200rpm with an 8mb cache. That will run you $80 or so.

Next you'll want RAM, I would say that 2x 256mb of DDR333(a.k.a PC2700) will be good enough....Run you about $120 I think....

From there you have the case, power supply and video card....

The case is up to her, there are lots out there, just make sure you look for an ATX format and one that has atleast 350 watts, preferably 400watts....

Does she plan on using a video card at all for games? If not then onboard video should do, so you'll need to find a motherboard that has that;)

And that should be a good start for ya:)

Ok professionals...

We need to take a big step backward here!!

I really appreciate everyone's help...but this is not nearly as deep of a question as everyone is making it.

I'm not trying to learn how to build a new computer...I'm not trying to upgrade any internal parts of her old one. She told me she wants a new computer...but she doesn't want to buy a new monitor, keyboard, speaker set up etc...

So, I was only asking for a good place to purchase the main computer/CPU/Tower/etc... Does that make sense?? This is not in any way a technical question.

I mentioned above that she is only interested in using the computer for things like email, basic games like solitaire, etc... and web surfing.

Please understand my concerns have nothing to do with how to build a computer. I was going to go along with her to Best buy or something and look at computers...sans monitor, speakers, keyboard, etc...

This is not anything I can't do without help...I just thought it would be nice to ask some technically sound people where a good place to buy a computer for someone who isn't interested in tons of RAM, Processor speed, Storage, etc..

Thanks.

I just built you a perfectly good computer for her above. Get her credit card and order it. It is VERY easy to put it together and will come with every thing you nedd to explain it. OR you could call around if you do not think you might know somebody and see which local computer store might charge you a small fee to SHOW you how to put it together. Reason I said SHOW is beacause i do not trust anyone, and i'm sure they might see that you would not know if they switched anything out. But either way you will get the most for your money if you do it that way and she will be able to use her existing monitor speakers keyboard etc........:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom