Getting the Blue Screen Of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I get the blue screen of death when I am viewing a folder that contains a lot of pictures, while viewing in thumbnails.

It says something like the error occurred in i81xdnt5.dll and the failure was page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
It's version number is 6.13.1.3198

And the file's description is "Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver"

I can view any folder in any view other than thumbnail mode. But it's when I view a folder in thumbnail mode and begin scrolling is when I get the BSOD!

I had some ideas to remedy the problem and I would test each remedy out. I would then go view a folder with many images in thumbnail mode and it'd give me the BSOD when I started scrolling.

Here are some things I've already tried.

1. Doing a proper shutdown/reboot.
2. setting the system to have no page file.
3. Resetting the page file to it's previous size (381 MB w/ 256 actual ram)
4. Deleting the thumbnail file (thumbnail.db) inside of a folder, closing the folder, reopening it and viewing it in thumbnail mode again.
5. Changing my current monitor display from 800x600 16bit to its highest resolution, and at 24bit (deepest bit depth).
6. running Scan Disk to check for errors.

Normally when I encounter a problem like this, I go through a list of what changes I've made to the computer and begin undoing them to see if that fixes the problem.

The last thing I installed was updating Yahoo messenger, AIM messenger, and MSN messenger. I suppose I could try uninstalling them, but I really don't suspect they're the cause.

I haven't tried running Registry Mechanic yet because while it may solve the problem, it is liable to cause another problem.

That error is with your RAM. The Page Fault in non paged area is always associated with things being written to the RAM. So my suggestion is to get MemTest86 and run it overnight and see what kind of errors it generates.

I fixed the problem.
I went to Folder Options, Views, and checked "Hide Protected Operating System Files"

Now I can scroll up and down through thumbnails as fast as I want and I don't get the BSOD. The moment I uncheck that option and start to scroll through thumbnails I get the BSOD like clockwork.

I have no idea why this occurred and why this option fixes the problem.

But hopefully my experience can be of some use to somebody (even if I can't explain why it fixed my problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom