Chipset fan grinding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strycker

Solid State Member
evga2.jpg

As you can see, my chipset fan is in a awful place. I can't get anything larger otherwise it'll make contact with my vid card. So, it needs to be like 10-12mm in depth. However, I really don't know anything about installing a new chipset heatsink/fan. I assume I need to take the mobo out and pop out those pins, and get some artic silver, but I'm not sure on how the actual heatsink and whatnot is actually placed on the mobo. Do the screws need to be positioned correctly? Just not sure what I need here.

I agree, the stock fan on that mobo is crap. That is my exact mobo. I love it, but the fan is very loud. I have looked into aftermarket options, but nothing fits under the 8800 card in there.

all you do is remove the motherboard and push the pins out from the back. the unfortunate thing is the HSF probably has thermal tape or a thermal pad on it which will make it a bugger to clean up. once you've done that apply some AS5 to the HSF with a plastic bag to fill in the pits of the surface and then spread some on the chipset die with a razor, credit card or any suitable instrument. line up the HSF over the chipset and the pins over their corresponding holes. place the HSF down firmly and push the pins through. you may want to push down and twist slightly on the HSF once it's installed to spread the AS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom