Having trouble re-establishing shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Background: My wife's computer and mine are on our network. I had a shared folder set up, and it worked great. My mother-in-law's computer died, so we lent her my wife's. My MiL is on dial-up, so I had to reinstall the modem for her. Anyway, we got the computer back, and it won't share folders anymore.

I have re-ran the wizard, on both computers, multiple times. Still nada.

So, what am I missing?

Are you sure the folders are checked to be shared? Right click under properties you shoudl see a shared tab. Make sure you have that checked so you can share.

Both are set up that way, and both are checked on the computers. One thing I did notice, though... my shared folder is just called Documents, while hers is SharedDocs. Don't know if that would cause a problem or not; if it does, what do I do to fix it?

The name shouldnt matter. The Domains are both the same right? Other than that i would think the only other thing would be the Guest account and router.

How would I verify that the domains are the same? Sorry, I worked last night and haven't been to bed yet, so I'm a little fuzzy.

You should be able to check out the Network status thru the Network Control Panel. In XP there should be the option right by the My Computer Area. If not check in the Control Panel. In there you should be able to right click and check the status of your Domain.

If that dont work then just go thru the Network setup wizard, yes i kow again, but make sure that the names are the same. I wish i could be a bit more specific but as you havent been to sleep neither have i. Kinda foggy on the Network settings i Xp right now.

Trotter said:

I have re-ran the wizard, on both computers, multiple times. Still nada.

Would this be the home network wizard or the network ID wizard? Or are they the same thing?

Trotter said:
I'm gonna crash, and then try it when I get up. Thanks, Mak.
Just trying to help. Let me know how things turn out. If it still dont work i will dive a bit deeper and see what i can come up with.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom