Microsoft's WGA changes today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage is being updated today, in what the company claims is response to customer feedback.

The original WGA was hugely unpopular, especially when it emerged the software was secretly "phoning home" - sending information about users' computers back to Redmond.

It also caused problems for some network managers faced with dozens of "false positives" - users told they were running fake software when in fact they were not. The original WGA found 22 per cent of systems scanned failed the test.

Microsoft has taken a page out of the Scottish legal system and added an extra verdict of "not proven" - WGA for XP will now label your software genuine, non-genuine, or not sure. Last time round some users found minor hardware changes like installing a new video card meant they had to re-activate their software through WGA.

The opt-in software is available for download from www.microsoft.com/genuine/. It will then be rolled out in Automatic Updates over "the next several weeks or months". The software will be updated every 90 to 120 days.

Microsoft UK anti-piracy head Michala Alexander told us: "There's no denying WGA has had its challenges but we really think we've listened to customers. When a customer fails it now gives more information as to why. Some 33 million people have gone through WGA now in the UK alone. We've added a glossy wizard to make it easier for customers. If any IT manager does have problems, please get in touch and we'll try to help."

http://www.theregister.com/2007/02/20/wga_changes_today/

I think they should nuke WGA altogether.You know, if their product wasn't so bleeping expensive when compared to the other alternatives, folks might not be trying so hard to pirate the thing.

But you also have to remember that it is taking almost 60,000 people to produce it. Compared to the others do they have that many families to feed?

I am not saying that it is right but i can understand. The most widely used OS in the world. It wont be cheap. But the prices will drop in time just as they always do.

WGA is a good thing IMO. Piracy hurts more than it helps. Not that i am a Saint but think about it. If they didn't have to off set the loss of profit from that 22% from the what 30 Million users would Windows have to cost that much? No. So in effect piracy is what is driving those prices up. So those same people that don't want to spend the $$ are what is forcing it to be raised to off set them because they pirate.

Like i said i saint a Saint. I have not been perfect with everything i have done on my PC. But i have turned a bit. I have gone legit with just about everything i use. So i can understand both sides of the story.

will this update come through windows update and will it actually say it is a genuine advantage update or will they try to cover it up so pirates will get it too?

Most likely it will be a forced update. One of those type of updates that you must get like SP2 in order to continue to get updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom