Help?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapx4.0

In Runtime
Okay i bought some new hardware. New 7900gs + ThermalTake Big typhoon cpu cooling. Well it showed up yesterday, i put the CPU cooling on ( btw it took no more than 4 mins, this thing rocks )

Then i put the new graphic card in. Plugged everything back in, and booted the pc up. it was loading slow and hanging at certain places it didn't before, so i figured the new graphic was slowing it down. so i was at windows, installed the new drivers, reset pc. Still took longer than normal to load, but it did load.

I started UT04 and ran around, pulling almost 200 fps. so i figured wow, its running fine offline, lets try online.

( note, i didn't know my Internet went out, till after )

When i tried to connect to the Internet ( firefox ) it wouldn't connect, so like most people do, i freaked out. called my buddy in case i was forgetting something. He said when he put a 7900gs in his pc ( he has the same MOBO as me ) he had to reset his Cmos. so i turned the pc off, pulled the little jumper by the mobos battery. Booted up , then turned it off, and put the jumper back to where it was.

But when i went to turn the pc back on. i got a. Error-Chipset fan is to low!

so i went and looked in the case, and the fuggn chipset fan wasn't even moving.

So i turned it off, got a little stick and tried moving the fan, and it was Really hard to move. ( i also tried blowing the fan out with Can-Air )

i tested the plug that the chip set fan with a different fan and it started up so, the fan really went out. But 1 of my questions is. Could i have broke my north-bridge chipset? even though i can boot the pc and play a game. ( with a old chipset heatsink on the chipset )

btw i also forgot, i was using my old psu (420watt) Could this be making my pc run slow? because i'm not getting enough power?

Also...

my board i a Asus a8n-sli

It has a 24 pin connector on the board, but i was using a 20 pin connector and didn't even realize it. A. what are the other 4 pins for, and b. will it hurt if i run it with 24? ( This was before i received my new stuff, for the last 1 1/2 years iv ran it with only 20 )

I know this is a lot of stuff, and is all scattered around, but please be kind. i appreciate all the help

Then i put the new graphic card in. Plugged everything back in, and booted the pc up. it was loading slow and hanging at certain places it didn't before, so i figured the new graphic was slowing it down. so i was at windows, installed the new drivers, reset pc. Still took longer than normal to load, but it did load.
It was probably from having old drivers on. Was your vid card an ATi before?

so i went and looked in the case, and the fuggn chipset fan wasn't even moving.
See if there is a setting in CMOS to have this on all the time. Some fans can be set to only work when the temp gets higher.

But, more likely the fan has died. Your particular mobo has poor chipset fans that die often. I would RMA it or get a new one that has passive cooling for the chipset. You could also install aftermarket cooling, but that will void your warranty.

btw i also forgot, i was using my old psu (420watt) Could this be making my pc run slow? because i'm not getting enough power?
A good quality 420W should do. If your PSU was lacking, your pc would randomly shutoff/reboot.

Ok, yes it was a ATI before. Would this make loading into windows ( after you put ur password in, it takes like 25 sec, before it was instant )

Well, i thought of that also but when i put a different fan on and power it up, it works so i figured its a bad fan. Yea i read alot of other ppl had the same prob with it so i bought a new one, it should be here tomorrow.

it was a cheap, light, SoP PSU that came with my brothers $30 case, lol...so im figuring its the psu. but it dont shut off ever. just lagging

but i have a new PSU otw, should be here tomorrow also, do you think this will fix the slow loading? its odd because i can boot up and run games, and they work just fine

Oh my god...i fixed it lawl

The XFX cd was in my cd drive, and when i tried booting, it was trying to load the drivers or something, i took it out and rebooted, the thing rebooted faster than ever....lol

But i still have a question about the 20 / 24 pin connector. I am on the pc right now, running 20 pins. Should i run 24? does it matter?

If it is running, then you have the 4-pin connector plugged in elsewhere on your motherboard. It is not a molex connector, but has pins in this arrangement:

X X
X X

This is the same thing that turns 20-pin into 24-pin.

OOOH, so that plug thats

X X
X X

You dont need if you have 24 pin? wow...all this time i never knew that

Thanks! hehe

Hapx4.0 said:
Would having both benefit in anyway?

Whenever I see both available, I use both. No sense in having a loose bunch of wires hanging out.

I've heard some people say that it may improve stability, but I wouldn't merit this as a viable reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom