Computer...exploded....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennreh

Beta member
Hey guys i have a problem i was hoping someone could help me with.

I was just on my computer when all of a sudden a series of popping and cracking sounds came from the machine, then all of a sudden it shut down. There was a bit of smoke and now my whole house stinks of... lead... or something :(

I don't know what caused this, its been running fine since i got it just over a year ago. I haven't turned it off in a few days so maybe thats related, although i have kept it on for long periods of time before and never had any issues.

I know my way around the inside of a computer, but thats about as far as it goes.

I'm not sure which power supply i have but i'm using a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, so if theres one fitted as standard its most likely that.

I have an ASUS A8N SLi-Delux mobo.

Basically i'm wondering what the **** to do next :D

Is my whole computer messed up? Or do i just need to buy a new power supply?

Is there any way i can find out what went wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Henry.

Meithan said:
Sounds like a PSU crash to me. Did you locate the source of the smoke?

I agree. The PSU is generally the only thing in a computer that will die a violent death. I've heard of some blowing a little fire out the back of it before:D

I bet if you open up your case and look at all the components including the power supply you should be able to find something that looks blackened.

Didn't get a chance to locate the source of the smoke, no. I jumped back like a girl! :(

Thankfully Elbatrop1 is right :) Everything inside (including the motherboard) looks fine so i think its just the PSU. I have a spare i will try tomorrow... hopefully it will work ok.

thanks for your help guys

The power supply that blew was 450W, the spare i have is 300W - will it damage any of my hardware using this PSU temporarily?

amd 64 4400+
geforce 7800gtx
xfi sound card
2gb corsair ram

anyone reccommend a good psu?

You are cutting it fine. If you have more than 1 hdd take them out. It will not damage it, but it *may* not be the best way to test it. How makes the 300w PSU?

I just have 1 hdd.

I don't know what brand the other PSU is, but its not major brand so i doubt its anything special :s

I will only be using it for 5 minutes while i test the pc.

Hennreh said:
Hey guys i have a problem i was hoping someone could help me with.

I was just on my computer when all of a sudden a series of popping and cracking sounds came from the machine, then all of a sudden it shut down. There was a bit of smoke and now my whole house stinks of... lead... or something :(

I don't know what caused this, its been running fine since i got it just over a year ago. I haven't turned it off in a few days so maybe thats related, although i have kept it on for long periods of time before and never had any issues.

I know my way around the inside of a computer, but thats about as far as it goes.

I'm not sure which power supply i have but i'm using a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, so if theres one fitted as standard its most likely that.

I have an ASUS A8N SLi-Delux mobo.

Basically i'm wondering what the **** to do next :D

Is my whole computer messed up? Or do i just need to buy a new power supply?

Is there any way i can find out what went wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Henry.
Probaly a cheap psu that blew up like everyone else said. Don't skip buying a nice psu next time!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom