PC freezes at random times......

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjh1984

Beta member
Hi all,

I have a problem with a PC I recently built. Here are the specs:

ASRock K7S8X (cheap and nasty I know!!)
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP (with the heatsink supplied by AMD)
512mb DDR400
120 GB Western Digital
500W Power Supply
52x BenQ cd-rom

At random times the PC just freezes, even when I am not using it and it is just on. The keyboard will freeze as when i press caps the light wont light up. The screen freezes, the internet is accessed on other PC's through this PC and they cannot access the internet when it freezes. I originally had a faulty processor and power supply but they are now replaced and it still happens. I thought it was the processor but it cant be. I have tried another dimm of RAM and it still happens. That brings me to the motherboard, which I know is a pretty poor one but money was tight at the time. Could it be the motherboard that is the problem?

Any help on the subject will greatly be appreciated.\

Cheers

Chris!

Well you need to start troublshooting id start withMemTest .Check for BIOS updates also.Make sure your settings are correct in your Bios check your CPU v and bus speed along with your Memory as well . Post some of your settings etc..

The memory test returned no errors. The bus speed for my memory is correct as is the cpu. What is the CPU v?

There is an update for my bios which i will install when I install my floppy drive again (cant stand those things!) if this does not help what else can you suggest?

running memtest overnight will give you your best results .
CPU voltage setting

WOW, I thought I was the only one with the same problem as you! Well, as you can tell I have the same problem and I can't solve it! What chipset is that mobo?

This may be a heat releated issue too. Check to make sure you have a cool PC. See if the CPU usage climbs to 100% on occasion, when your PC freezes. You may need to get a better heatsink fan, or reapply thermal grease to the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom