Opteron 170 - My First Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaa

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I am overclocking my first cpu and I can use some guidance. I found some great sources on this site, but some tailored advice would be much appreciated (especially if one of you have a similar system - I'd be interested to know about your results).
Heres my set up:

Running Windows XP X64 edition
(1) Radeon X850 XT
(4) 512 sticks of Centron PC 3200 Ram
Asus 8AN-Sli Deluxe Mobo - ACPI Bios Revision 1013
10,000 rpm 80 gig Raptor Drive (Windows and games on this Drive)
7,000 rpm 250 gig Drive (For file storage)
2.0 Ghz Opteron 170 Processor (LCB9E Stepping) with stock cooling
500W Mad Dog PSU

I have done some very minor tweaks through the bios, but would you guys have any recommendations on where to start and what I should be changing? I am a complete OC novice.

Below are links to my CPU-Z reports.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with your mobo, but that processor should fly past 2.6ghz at least, depending on the code.

knock your HTT down a bit and whack the CPU clock up to 275!!

I'm at 2.65 right now at 32C idle, but my computer seems like its slower.

I did something with the bios and my 3d mark score was slightly higher at 2.2ghz then it is now at 2.65. Fortunately I took a screen shot: compare the screen shots above with the ones below.

I see the main difference is my HT link, which I have no idea how to increase. I have been all over my bios and could not find it.

Here are my setting so far, let me know what you guys think and what could improve upon!
Thanks!!!

the ht link will be in the chipset settings(on my abit it is in the same bios page as ram settings) and will have a 3x multiplier (265 x 3 = 795).
you can change it to 4, but i have found that leaving it at 3 will assist in keeping the higher overclocks stable. you will want to probably keep it as close to or below 1000 as possible. try it though...but set at 3, you should have really no loss of performance. i dont think you will have a difference between 795 and 1100. at least not really significant.

EDIT: also a big difference is the bank cycle time of your ram. it goes from 10 @2.2 to 22 @ 2.6
lower that manually if possible.
also try to get your ram set to 1T command rate. that will improve the performance. i dont know if you can do that with that ram at those speeds, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom