Asus A7N8X-E Mobo Random Shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkathe

Solid State Member
I am looking for help concerning random shutdowns and other problems with the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and the AMP Athlon XP 3200+. Please post any suggestions you may have to solve the problems. My guess is they are all related to a common problem.

1. The verbal POST sometimes reports: "System failed due to CPU over clocking." System still starts anyway.
2. The verbal POST sometimes reports twice: “System completed power on self test.”
3. The verbal POST sometimes reports nothing (silent).
4. The CPU sometimes is shown (in the WinXP hardware Properties window) at something other than a Athlon XP 3200+, for example a 2500+.
5. Random system Restarts occur, usually at the instant of pressing a key on the keyboard or moving/clicking the mouse.
6. Random freezing of program, then the Microsoft Error Reporting process starts and program is shut down.
7. Display black-outs of 1 or 2 seconds while working in a window that is not Maximized.
8. Sometimes a jittery display while In Internet Explorer and multiple windows open. Problem is made worse while typing or moving mouse.
9. Sometimes the ATI card is referenced in the Microsoft Error Reporting routine when a problem happens at the Desktop and no program windows open.
10. Sometimes the POST displayed a request to rebuild the RAID set.

I am able to open 10 Word docs, 10 Excel files, 20 PDFs, multiple Internet Explorer windows, AOL, the Asus Probe, Windows Media Player, ACDSee and the Task Manager without a problem of running out of RAM or forcing an overload to shut down or freeze the system. The shutdowns happen at random, but not while the system is idle. Keyboard and mouse input must be occurring around the time of a shutdown.

Each manufacturer: Asus, AMD and Kingston indicate the product models used are compatible or recommended for eachother.

I have two identical systems with the same problems. I have been in contact with 2 other users of same mobo/CPU that are having similar shutdown problems.

Let me know what problems and solutions you may have found with this mobo.

THANKS gkathe

System info, this is what Asus wants to know to submit a Help request. :rolleyes:
Mobo: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Ser. No. 41MM444481
BIOS: Rev 1008 (and tried Rev 1010)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
CPU Fan & Sink: Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040
RAM: Kingston 3 x 512mb PC3200 CL3 Model # KVR400X64C3A/512 (Value RAM junk :mad: )
Power Supply: Vantec Stealth 420w (+3.3V=26A, +5V=42A, +12V=18A, -12V=1.0A, -5V=0.8A, +5VSB=2.5A) Max Combined Wattage=420W, Peak Wattage=520W
Case: Antec P160 with 1 fan.
Primary IDE HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 160gb Ultra ATA/133
Other IDE: Memorex CDROM, Plextor DVD R/W
SATA Drives: RAID 1: 2 x MaxtorDiamondMax Plus 200gb SATA
FDD: Sony 1.44mb
AGP Slot: ATI Radeon 9600XT
PCI Slot 3: Belkin 5 port USB Card F5U220
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Access Cordless Keyboard & Logitech Mouseman Optical Cordless connects to PS2 Mouse port and one USB port.

ASUS Probe Readings:

CPU Temp: 42C
Mobo Temp: 26C
CPU Fan Speed: 5113 rpm
Power Fan Speed: no reading (3 fans are operational)
Chassis Fan Speed: no reading (1 fan is operational)
+12V: 12.352 to 12.416
+5V: 4.945
+3.3V: 3.376 to 3.392
Vcore: 1.68 to 1.696

Default BIOS and Setup. No user changes.
Windows XP Pro, fully updated
MS Office 2000, fully updated
Internet Explorer, fully updated
Windows Media Player, fully updated
Norton System Works 2004, fully updated, no virus or other problems detected
Drivers for Video Card are fully updated

Selected Setup Data:

CPU External Frequency: 200mhz
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: Auto
xCPU Frequency Multiple: 11.0x
System Performance: Optimal
CPU Interface: Optimal
Memory Frequency: Auto

Thanks Microbell,

Kingston shows the memory as compatible for the mobo. I guess they mean that it at least physically fits. :p

I contacted Asus tech support and their quasi-canned response talked the most about memory compatibility besides the usual issues of power supply, cooling, shorts, software updates, etc. They also listed Corsair as a compatible memory vendor.

After reading a number of posts at the Corsair RAM forum about memory problems with this mobo, I have requested Corsair to recommend a specific part number for the memory modules. I am going to check the other vendors you mentioned and ask Asus what part number they specifically recommend. Being new to the building of systems, I am surprised at the lack of compatibility and non-returnability of mismatched parts.

By the way, I went back to the Asus site that I downloaded the BIOS rev. 1010 and it was not there. I previously noticed that the listing of BIOS revisions was different between their US, Taiwan and German sites. It was the Asus supplied BIOS updating utility program that found the newer versions at the Taiwan ftp site.

Thanks again Microbell,

Cost was not an issue in my decision to build these systems. I need dependability to finish projects without the computer sensing the urgency and crashing - some sixth sense thing with them. Being new to the building of a new system, I ignorantly figured the industry standards :rolleyes: would have this compatibility issue covered. I have learned a costly mistake that I hope to have Kingston correct. (6 sticks at $100 each)

I am on to researching the right RAM for this board and will post my findings.

Of the brands you mentioned, anyone better on customer service and tech support?

My research has revealed these are the memory modules recommended by the memory manufacturers for this board:

CRUCIAL: 512MB — CT6464Z40B DDR PC3200 CL=3 Non-parity US $99.99 (each)
CRUCIAL: 1GB — CT12864Z40B DDR PC3200 CL=3 Non-parity US $389.99 (each)
SEE link: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...&mfr=ASUS&cat=&model=A7N8X-E Deluxe&submit=Go
They apparently do not sell specifically matched pairs. (The Asus manual is not very clear but it appears that you need a memory module in socket #1 and socket #3 for dual channel feature and obviously they should be the same manufacturer and specs (latency). I guess a third module will either run single channel or ???

CORSAIR: their RAM GUY forum recommends:
TWINX1024-3200LL XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-2-6 2x184 DIMM Black
or TWINX1024-3200LLPT XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-2-6 2x184 DIMM Platinum (LL=Low Latency , PT=Platinum)
SEE this link: http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx1024-3200ll.pdf
SEE link: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/xms.html#twinx
The main theme here at Corsair appears to be the importance of low latency: a CL=2. Thare are some very detailed posts on their support forum about this mobo and memory. These are matched pairs.

MUSHKIN: 1GB PC3500 DDR Level 1 Dual Pack (2x512) - $ 340.00
SEE link: http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushk...2001598622740c0a801020617/Product/View/991091

KINGSTON: they still insist the part I have is the one: KVR400X64C3A/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-3
SEE link: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...sp?SysID=+17483+&distributor=0&submit1=Search
I ran memtest86 on the system and logged only 2,398 errors on the first pass. :p
I have inquired about compatible Kingston Hyper X memory but that threw them for a loop - techs are researching the question and no response yet.

NVIDIA: Since nForce2 chipset is the picky part of this mobo, I checked out nVidia's recommendations. None of them are for the 400mhz Front Side Bus and I could not find sources for most of them.
SEE link: http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForc...MemoryCompatibilityByMB.asp?Manufacturer=ASUS
"NVIDIA provides superior 3D graphics processors to the computer industry's leading add-in card manufacturers and PC OEMs. We do not sell any products directly to end users so we do not have a staff dedicated to end-user technical support. If you are having a problem with any NVIDIA-based product, please contact either the PC or board manufacturer of your product."

ASUS: I have asked Asus for a specific recommendation on RAM - but no response yet.

I found another post in this forum about RAM for this mobo.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15433&highlight=cas+memory
I have messaged Kangaroo to see if the Corsair worked fine. (I wish I would have found this post sooner.) :confused:

It is very obvious in my research across the web and many tech support forums that the memory selection for this board is very critical to making it work right out of the box. Just as you said Microbell!!!

Thanks for info. Ordered the Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-2-6 (2x512mb modules) The only other working OK user of this mobo that I found is using these modules. Will post results.

Kingston responded to my question about their Hyper X memory being compatible with this mobo with the statement: "The A7N8X-E Deluxe board has been tested with the KVR400X64C3A/512 memory. This is the best memory recommended for that system."
:laughing: :grind: :laughing:

SOLUTION #1

Still waiting for Corsair modules; however, went to my local d.i.y computer building store and bought some unbranded 512mb PC3200 DDR 400mhz Samsung modules that are working fine. All the above listed problems have ceased!!! :D

These folks (Computer Direct Outlet, Greenville, South Carolina) knew I had an Asus mobo memory problem even though I only got as far as mentioning the nForce2 chipset. They have seen several cases of the same problem with this mobo and generic memory.

This Samsung memory cost $122 per stick.

Now looking for a home for 6 sticks KINGSTON KVR400X64C3A/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-3

Any suggestions of a mobo that can use these properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom