External Hard drive Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yin-Yang

In Runtime
Hey Guys, I just got a Hardrive, and an external enclosure.

I put it together just fine. but the problem ocured when I pluged it in to my computer (Win XP) It said that it was installed, however it does not show up under "my computer".

help please. I can not seem to find where it is...

the external Enclosure is a Rosewill RX353-S

thanks in advance.

try restarting your computer first, then go to device manager and see if you notice any issues.

... Restarted my computer 3 times already... not fixed.

I heard something about win xp pro not reconizing Mass Storage devices...

the harddrive is 320gb large.

Searched there site... there seems to be no driver for it... it the harddrive is a sata drive... could that be a problem?

It is... an external hardrive... I have a USB cable.

Edit:

OMG I found out what was wrong.

someone told me:
A new drive without a partition cannot be assigned a drive letter in Windows XP. You have to partition it first.

You can do this in Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management /

I just happen to have a side-business selling external drives online, so I know how common this problem is with most people that put together their own external drives. www.drivefusion.com

For this reason, I always partition and format my external drives for customers before I send them out so they don't complain.

It's a common mistake, and hopefully this will solve your problem. If creating a new partition does not assign a letter to your drive, then the enclosure is probably defective.

Another method of creating a partition is using Partition Magic or physically removing the drive from the enclsoure and installing it in your system.

thank god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom