another newb to overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
i have a conroe E6600 CPU with stock cooler and Asus P5N32-SLI delux Mobo. and im a complete newb to overclocking (first computer build)

Asus comes with a overclocking utility and currently my computer is running at 2880mhz. but i want to do it thru bios. can anyone help me walk through the steps and changes i need to make in my bios for overclocking?

Simple and easy it depends alot on ur motherboard. Just enter bios and make sure you enter advanced mode so it will show it. You should be able to overlock the graphics, fsb, processor and ram.

Overlocking the FSB basically overclocks everything on ur board. But is the easiest and most dangerous.

Overlocking the processor is easy aswell but may require the fsb to overlock some for stablity. Overclocking these will cause automatic reboots.

Graphics and ram tend to be harder cause if you overlock them too far than you system wont reboot or turn on and you have to reset the entire bios and do the thing over again. Not only that but it will damage your video card. IOr it will simply freeze up when in windows like every 5 secs you will get a 1 sec lockup and there will be alot of artifacts like black lines. It will also mess up the plug and play of the card and when that happens it also affects your lcd's ( i know this :) ) This is why I will not overclock that much, maybe the processor but nothing else.

Overlocking the processor is the least dangerous while the graphics card is alot more dangerous and more easy to destroy by overclocking.

im pretty sure the asus software is overclocking everything on my board, as my fsb speed is around 1300+mhz (im at work atm so i gotta check that when i get home) like i said my CPU is currently at 2880mhz but i'd like to get it to a solid 3.0ghz and call it a day.
i remember going through my bios and couldnt find anywhere where i can change the speed/freq of anything. is there anyone else with my Mobo that would like to help me out?

i just realized the ram i bought is 675mhz. stock timing is at 4-4-4-12. if i was to overclock my ram would i have to adjust the timing at all or raise the mhz value?

and as for overclocking the GPU, im very happy with everything i can throw at it. (WoW, cod2, bf2142) and i'll be SLi-ing it in the near future. so i dont want to mess with that.

joowan said:
im pretty sure the asus software is overclocking everything on my board, as my fsb speed is around 1300+mhz (im at work atm so i gotta check that when i get home) like i said my CPU is currently at 2880mhz but i'd like to get it to a solid 3.0ghz and call it a day.
i remember going through my bios and couldnt find anywhere where i can change the speed/freq of anything. is there anyone else with my Mobo that would like to help me out?

i just realized the ram i bought is 675mhz. stock timing is at 4-4-4-12. if i was to overclock my ram would i have to adjust the timing at all or raise the mhz value?

and as for overclocking the GPU, im very happy with everything i can throw at it. (WoW, cod2, bf2142) and i'll be SLi-ing it in the near future. so i dont want to mess with that.

Usually the faster u make ur ram the more errors it will put out at lower latencies
To reach 3.0 from a 2.4 processor is quite a bit and will need some adjustments for the ram to make it stable. FSB will overclock ur graphix aswell but to go to 3.0 might be unavoidable. To get to advance settings in bios requires you press like ctrl +F10 or somthing alike that. it varies with mobo but they pretty much go by that rule. Why they require you to to do that is beyond me. cause simply entering bios will only let ulike manually configure ur ram and thats about it.

good find, thanks. any general rules of thumb i should/need to follow?

btw currently my computer's overclocked by the asus AI program. is it that much better to do it thru bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom