Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2/800 (2x1GB)
Hard Drive: Dual WD Caviar SE 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Sound Card: Creative Labs SOUND BLASTER Audigy 4SE
CD/DVD Burner: Lite-On DVD+R Lightscribe 2MB Cache
Monitor: Dell E228WFPÂ’s 1680x1050
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition

There seems to be something wrong with Windows and I can't figure out what it is other than when I formatted my hard drive, half way through it asked me to put in a windows service pack CD or updates or something. So I tried putting in the other 2 of my 3 CDs and neither worked so I told it to cancel and it finished formatting. A person under Other HW Topics told me to run Windows Update but when I click on that, it comes up with a window like an Internet window but says page cannot be displayed. Here are my symptoms:

-Windows looks like Win '98 and gray and boxy.

-The start button, taskbar, and windows are gray. Again, they look like Win '98 or an older version than XP Media Center Edition

-It doesn't read certain CDs like the other 2 formatting CDs and a CD that came from my monitor.

-When I click Start>Internet Explorer, it asks me what to open it with and I get choices like Media Center, Notepad, Paint, Sound Recorder accessory, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and WordPad. Even the Internet Explorer Icon looks odd; it's a dog eared piece of paper with a window and a couple icons that I can't read. But the other icons like Media Center, Windows Messenger, and Control Panel etc. all work look regular.

-I have an ethernet cable going from my computer to the modem to the phone line which has Internet. My other computer is hooked up to that modem also and it works fine, but my new computer doesn't recognize that there is Internet.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can help me with this! :confused:

Okay, I put in the 2nd disc and it asked me if I wanted to repair Windows and I said yes and my hard drive reformatted or something but I don't see any changes in how everything looks and works. Then I tried putting in the 3rd disc and I go to the CD, and double click on the Self-Extracting Cabinet (I don't know what it is but it's the only thing on the CD) and it loads until it comes up with an error and says it could not find SRCLIENT.DLL. That's all the farther I got. Should I contact Microsoft and tell them to send me new discs? By the way, I can't run msconfig, msinfo32, but I can run dxdiag for some reason if that helps at all :cool:

when it ask for the second disc, put it in and browse to the H:\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR\I386 folder. substitute h with your cd rom drive letter

do the reinstall all over. I've done this a trillion times

here is an easier way. download the latest version of nlite and put the first media center disc in the drive. it will ask for the second disc. it will make one big iso file that you can burn to DVD and then you can install it with one disc

Let me clarify a little bit. Windows Media Center Edition 2005 came with 3 CDs in the box. Disc #1, Disc #2, and Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Updates for Version 2005. Originally, when I first installed Windows, I was formatting the hard drive and it loaded for a while. Then, it asked me to put in disc #2 so I did but it wouldn't recognize it or something; I'm not exactly sure what happened but I clicked Open with the D:/ drive selected and it didn't do anything. So I hit Cancel and somehow it must have realized there in fact was a disc #2 in the drive and it loaded the rest of the way. Later, I put in the Updates for Version 2005 disc and a window popped up with 1 file called WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-usa which is a Self-Extracting Cabinet (it says that under the name). So when I double-click on that, a window pops up that says Extracting Files for the title. The bar across the bottom goes almost to the end and then closes and a new window pops up that says "MCInstaller.exe - Unable to Locate Component" for the title and then in the window it says "This application has failed to start because SRCLIENT.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." And the only option is OK so I click that and it closes.

So that's all the further I can get. Should I try to copy some files from another computer onto a CD and then put that CD into my new computer and see if they load correctly?

no. you need to find a guide to installing media center. it will install without the second disc, but not properly (A bunch of files will be missing), which is what you did. the 3rd disc (I've onlty had 2), is obviously the update rollup pack 2.

again using nlite is the easiest way for you as it will make a one disc dvd

http://nuhi.olmik.net/new/nLite-1.3.rc2.installer.exe

or you can start over, put disc 1 in one cd rom and disc 2 in another
delete your drive, format it again. when it ask for disc 2 browse to H:\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR\I386 folder. now doing it in this manner, it won't ask you to put disc one back in, which it will do if you use only cd rom drive

now follow what I just said and you will see that it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom