Computer for video editing...CPU, etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.

annieb727

Baseband Member
Hi Everyone...I'm very new at all of this stuff. I have been doing a lot of research here, but I still have some questions.

I am going to build a computer mainly for video editing (and of course internet, watching movies, and a few minor games like Sims, Monopoly and such, not a gamer). We want to build a good computer that will last a while. I was thinking the AMD 64 3400+ would be the best choice for a CPU, but then noticed it was only at 2.2 GHz, where the P4 is 3.2 GHz w/ Hyperthreading for about $100 difference.

I'm also not sure about the whole FSB stuff...I've been reading and I know it has to do with how fast the CPU "talks" to the memory and other parts -- is the 800 MHz in the P4 going to be TONS slower than the AMD 64 at 1600 MHz. I read something about how it's not always fully utilizing the FSB...how does that work.

Also what difference does the cache make?

Here's what we're thinking of doing for our computer (any comments would be greatly appreciated):

AMD 64 3400+ CPU (or P4 3.2 GHz Hyperthreading)
GigaByte K8NPro Motherboard (Gigabyte - 8IK1100 if I go w/ P4)
1 GB (2x512) PC3200 (is Crucial a good place to go?)
Seagate Ultra ATA 100 200 GB Hard Drive (most likely two of these)
Toshiba 16x DVD-Rom Drive
ATI Radeon 9600XT
YE Data All in One Internal Floppy
Chieftec Matrix Case (definitely need something with a locking case as we have a little boy who loves to press buttons)
Benq DVD+RW Burner (4x4x12x), CD-RW (16x10x32x) combo
Mercury PCTel 56K PCI Fax Modem
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Card
WinTV PVR-350
19" or so CRT Flat Screen Monitor

Thanks so much for your help and input!

~Annie

You don't need a CPU that fast, go with a 3200+ Barton, and that computer is good enough for any game that's currently out.

why do you say i should get the 3200+ barton?

fyi, we typically have many programs going...of course right now all we have is a P4 1500 MHz, 256 MB RAM.

my purpose is not gaming...i know those requirements are large, but rather for video editing (a lot of home stuff to send to the family since we live across the country from them all).

From what I've read, P4's are faster in video editing type stuff. I currently have a 2.8 ghz P4, and the Gigabyte 8IK1100 mobo you're lookin at. I do a lot of video and music editing, and it's plenty of power.

annieb727 said:
AMD 64 3400+ CPU (or P4 3.2 GHz Hyperthreading)
GigaByte K8NPro Motherboard (Gigabyte - 8IK1100 if I go w/ P4)
1 GB (2x512) PC3200 (is Crucial a good place to go?)
Seagate Ultra ATA 100 200 GB Hard Drive (most likely two of these)
Toshiba 16x DVD-Rom Drive
ATI Radeon 9600XT
YE Data All in One Internal Floppy
Chieftec Matrix Case (definitely need something with a locking case as we have a little boy who loves to press buttons)
Benq DVD+RW Burner (4x4x12x), CD-RW (16x10x32x) combo
Mercury PCTel 56K PCI Fax Modem
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Card
WinTV PVR-350
19" or so CRT Flat Screen Monitor

IÂ’d go with a P4
I like Kingston for memory
As far as your DVD-ROM drive and DVD burner go I donÂ’t see much point in getting both, unless you will be making copies of DVDs that already exist. Any DVD burner will also burn CDs. I would get a DVD-RW or a multi-format burner. I don't think you kneed a multi-layer burner.
You do know the difference between "flat screen" and "flat panel", right? Because if youÂ’re looking for the space-saving skinny kind, that would be an LCD "flat panel." "Flat screen" just means that the glass isn't curved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom