Is this PSU enough for this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Antec Truepower Trio 550 watt

Antec 900 Case 2 80mm fans, 1 180mm fan, 1 200mm fan,
E6600 CPU (not overclocked)
Gigabyte 965p (using onboard video and audio)
1GB Corsair Dual Channel Ram
Lite-on DVDRW x 2
500GB Western Digital Sata 2 HDD

I built the system but the fans seem to come on very slowly. Sometimes some of the fans don't even spin up. (including the CPU fan!) Once they DO spin up, they stay on. I've disconnected and reconnected everything. I assumed the above PSU would be fine without some power hungry graphics card. Was I wrong?
Can probably RMA it and switch to a 650 watt truepower.

That is MORE than enough. That PSU is incredibly overkill. You could support SLI 8800GTX on those watts and your using a C2D and onboard video. I would get a 400w PSU and that's all you'll need.

This must be a defective. Just watching things power up it just feels like the system isn't getting enough juice. Maybe I better RMA this unit for a replacement. I can't think of anything else it could be.

Thank you for the reply

Possibly...there might be something else though, does the monitor come on? Does the tower stay on? Explain how it exactly works.

That amount of power should be plenty to power your system even with an 8800gtx (3 x +12 with 18amp each is a lot for any graphics card out now) if you got one later.

So that psu should be powering your system no sweat. I can't think of anything else that would effect the fans unless you have them hooked up to the mobo or fan controller?

If not then i would try RMAing that psu for another one or a different psu.

Sora said:
That is MORE than enough. That PSU is incredibly overkill. You could support SLI 8800GTX on those watts and your using a C2D and onboard video. I would get a 400w PSU and that's all you'll need.

That psu cannot run 2 8800gtx's. It needs at least 56amps (that spu only has 54), since one 8800gtx alone needs 28.

This thing has me stumped. Sometimes when I power it on all fans kick on, other times 1 fan my stay off, sometimes the CPU fan. If I give the fan a spin with my finger it starts working. It's totally random, if I disconnect the DVD drives all fans seem to power up fine, therefore, I assumed it was not getting enough power. Power and 4 in connectors are attached, I can't see to figure out the problem.

^^yeah i just realized that after checking myself on the minimum requirments for an 8800gtx, but that psu still doesn't supply enough amps on the +12v rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom