Would Vista be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatmangos91

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am currently running windows 2k professionally on my new pc.
The pc would be capable of running vista smoothly, im sure,
but is it actually worth it?

i would be buying a home premium upgrade, and ive heard that there are loads of compatibility issues with vista (not surprisingly).
Also, there was a problem with nvidia GPU's on vista. is this sorted?
and i presume that i can run vista with dx9 (7900GS).

Would I have far too many problems with vista to make it worth it now?
should i wait a while? its just that my mum is going to USA in a few weeks where vista is considerably cheaper, so if I was going to upgrade, then would be a sensible time.

any help appreciated
thank you

Do a search. Almost all of these questions have been answered already.

Yes Vista is worth it.

There are few compatability issues. Most of them stem from upgrades since people dont remove the old applicaitons that are not compatable. Check http://windowsvista.com/ for the Upgrade Advisor. It will tell you everything.

The nVidia issue is being worked on. They are working on new drivers. It isnt fully sorted but they are working. Vista comes with DX10 installed. You can run the DX9 runtimes with no problem at all.

im sticking out for a while till all compatibility issues have been resolved and updated.

a) vista upgrade advisor only works with windows xp. :(

b) do i need to buy a new set of word/excel etc for vista?

c) should i consider dual booting, with windows 2k and vista?

A) sorry didnt think of that.

B) You should use Office 2007 with Vista. Office 2003 will work but i dont think Office XP or before will.

C) I would consider dual booting as some of the programs you are used to using in 2000 might not work in Vista. That way you can still get things accomplished while finding new applications that can accomplish the tasks in Vista.

joowan said:
im sticking out for a while till all compatibility issues have been resolved and updated.
as above, for me theres not enough reason to go from something thats working perfectly(xp) to something that ill more than likely have issues with.
Ill get it when people start saying "just installed vista, had no problems what so ever and everything works" ;)

I'm not upgrading to vista for at least a year. Yes, that is how much time it will take them to apply fixes, make it somewhat usable esp. in case of security.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom