Need help FAST. Building a new PC for video editing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankcanvas

Baseband Member
I just typed this and for some reason when I opened up AIM it was all gone, GREAT.

Anyway, this is what im trying to do.

I got a great deal on a pretty much brand new Compaq Presario 6000 PC. I was going to use it for parts in my HP. Well I took the HD out, along with the video card, Cd-Burner, and firewire card.

I put all of that stuff in my HP, it all worked fine. No problem. I set that harddrive as a slave, and deleted everything on it. Now I had a new 60 gigs of space, awesome.

I then noticed how much bigger the Compaq case was, not to mention it had fans (the HP only has one in the Power supply and one above the processor), and after reading specs on it, it even has a faster processor than my HP that is running a P4, 1.6Ghz or something. Not only this, I have plenty of DDR ram laying around, I could get that thing running nice and smooth and fast!

So I decided to move everything into the Compaq, I set everything up exactly how it was in my HP. The harddrive I got out of the Compaq I had set up as a slave, plugged into the Drive 1 ribbon cable (where the MAster was plugged into the Drive 0 cable). Everything was plugged in perfect, or so I assumed.

I booted it up. It recognized all the new hardware, which was nice. I hit F1 to continue, the computer restarts, and I get this error message at boot up, "No Operating System Found" or something like that. So I was afraid I might of somehow reformatted the original drive in the HP, I was scared I just lost everything.

I double check the cables, make a couple phone calls, it seemed like it should be working, it didnt.

So I put everything back in that dreaded HP Case, that i've grown to hate. Everything worked again, so here I am, and here is my question:

What do I need to do to get this thing to work?

Here is some information you may need to know to help me out or whatever.

I'm putting a 20 gig HD that is 'split' into two or whatever in there. Its ONE peice of physical equipment yet it is my Drive C, and my Drive D. Dont ask, I dont know how this is done. My OS is on Drive D ( I installed XP Pro and was afraid i'd goof and lose Win2000 in the process, so to be SAFE, I installed it on a diffrent drive as Win2000 and later got rid of Win2000). The Harddrive that I took out of the Compaq and put in my HP is a 60 gig that had the Compaq's OS on it, I deleted everything on it and made it a Footage HD for my HP. (Also, it is a NTFS HD, whereas my others are a Fat32, not sure what that means. Maybe its a compatability issue?)

Then ofcourse everything else is plug in play, bla bla. Thats not where the problem is.

I no longer have my Xp Pro disc, i've moved twice since i've installed it, and i've probably lost it or still have it packed away in a random box in the garage. So reformatting and installing Xp again really isnt an option. After all, all the files from the Compaq to my HP were still on there when I moved it, so I dont think I need to reformat my drives or anything.

Im just boggled, logically I would of assumed it would of all worked, I mean I thought it through, and I cant come up with a logical reason why it ISNT working. I also read that the drives may not be booting in the proper order. In BIOS should I change it so that they boot like this:
Drive D - Program Files, Operating System, the works.
Drive C - Games, music, videos, etc.
Drive G - Footage, video editing stuff.
Drive A - Floppy
Drive E and F - Cd Rom and CD-Burner

I really want to get this done so I can edit again, im getting pretty tired on long renders and waiting forever for anything to take affect.

If you prefer, you can contact me on AIM or MSN Messenger, details below.

If you've read this far, then I hope you know what to do, so please share it with me. I really want to do this myself (not asking help from my dad who could do it in a heartbeat probably, PC Speacilist/Network Admin, I want to do it 'by myself')
-Curtis
AIM- skatebmxfilmer
MSN - Blankcanvaslife@hotmail.com

The problem is that your operating system is married to your hardware upon installation, So I syggest backing up the data to the 60 gig hdd, and reformatting the original drive, then it should work.

I dont have the orignal XP Cd, therefore I dont have another OS to put back on it.

I still have the Compaq Restore CD, with XP HOME on it, but will that still work with the network and stuff at my house? Wireless LAN and stuff.

Ok, so do you mean that I need to move everything on Drive C and D, to drive G?
Then reformat (explain how) drive C/D and put everything in that computer and just try a fresh install of XP from the Compaq Restore disk?

Alright, get all of you important files and stuff into one folder, and put it on the drive that doesn't have the OS on it, make sure you are running the Compaq mobo+bios, or else it might not work, then restard with command line, type in "FORMAT X:" (No quotes) where X is the drive letter with the OS on it, restore WinXP, and you're done.

Ok, but my question is this: Since I will be using the Compaq restore CD, to re-install a OS on a HD that was not originally in the compaq, will it work? They say it will only work with Compaq computers, so will it be compatable? J/w.

Thanks, really. Your help was muchly apreciated.

Take this from a 16 year old who doesnt know what the hell he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom