**** Cleanup Problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMan813

In Runtime
Whenever I try and run disk cleanup on my system, it freezes. I can still do things on my computer and everything and even stop it. It gets about 3 green bars and then just stops. I havent run it successfully in a long time because of this. PLease help.

i have no problem with mine mines a compaq

have you tried turning off your antivirus software or anything else that is running in the background

or even try it in safe mode

Compaqs are loaded with a hell a lot of problems.
Anyway, try it in safe mode.
Or delete the contents in temp folder manually and then do Disk clean up

Well, as you can see from my signature, its a DELL...lol...I dont care for compaqs perticularly either...I will try it in safe mode if I can figure out howto do that and let you know what happens. Thanks

I started up in safe mode and ran disk cleanup. When it started up it looked just the same as it always does when it doesnt work, but I let it sit for about 4 hours, and still nothing. It still comes up and gets about 4 bars real quick and then just stops. Anything else I should try?

Maybe just try clearing each one manually for now.
Then try running Disk Cleanup after that.
Freezing on 3 green bars is about the scan of the Temporary internet files?
Clear them manually atleast

How do I clear them manuallly? I have pop-up stopper and it has a button that clears browser cache (temporary files). I do that every couple of days. Is this the same thing that you are talking about?

You can empty the following folders(For XP HE):

- C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\History
- C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Temp
- C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Search your PC for the following files/extensions and delete the following:

01 - *.~*
02- ~*.*
03 - *.*~
04 - *.---
05 - *.tmp
06 - *._mp
07 - *.old
08 - *.bak
09 - *.chk
10 - *.gid
11 - mscreate.dir