Used space on new hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watercontainer

Beta member
Hi, I just bought a 120GB external HD and formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS. Now it shows that there is ~67MB used space even though I don't have anything on the new drive? Is this normal or did I messed something up?

Just to clarify that I understand the difference between 1K = 1000B and 1K = 1028B that causes the difference in maximum capacity. My 120GB hard drive only shows as a 111GB hard drive in windows.

I'm wondering about the ~67MB space that is marked as used. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this when you bought a new hard drive?

Thanks.

There will always be lost space even though u just formated, You lose space through the formating, partitioning and number conversion like you already said.

111GB sounds about right.

Well I'm not concerned about the 111GB max capacity. I'm concerned about the ~67MB space that is marked as used even though I have nothing on it right now.

Windows has two folders on any drive you format under Windows. System Volume Information and Recycler (AKA Recycle Bin). Empty your recycle bin to see if the 67MB goes down any. If it doesn't, it's from the System Volume Information, and you cannot delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom