Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the API doesn't support it then anything the drivers do i moot. The API is the most important link in the hardware to software chain, and M$ decided that Direct Sound will not have support for hardware acceleration. to me that looks like a step backwards, considering the trend nowadays with dishing the tasks out to acceleration cards and extra cpus, instead of one over powerful cpu to do it all.

they should. the windows media player 11 is suppsoed to be an improvement, even though its a cpu hog. but high end audio work (the kind a professional engineer does) will be a little bit harder. cause now even if your sound card supports acceleration (which only the best do) it doesn't matter. so the $300 version of the X-FI cards is a waste of money if you will be using windows Vista.

for me wmp11 is only a hog when I play videos, but for videos I use divx player and they run smooth. but wmp 11 for xp didn't sound this good. are there new features in the vista version besides it being mostly glass like

why is wmp11 such a cpu hog in XP? ever since i went from 10 to 11 it eats up 50% of my cpu and im dual core! what a crummy program. it sucks because i like to listen to music and play video games at the same time, and itunes makes crack and pop sounds, and wmp slows me down. and i hate winamp, its too cumbersome.

had this pos ultimate full retail since jan 30, already been through one reinstall and considering another.

both times the photo ss quite working after a couple days.
shadow copy has never worked regardless of how many restore points i create. ( does this work for anyone seriously?, there are no previous versions on any filei have and yes security is on)
defragging takes foreeeevvvveeerrrrrr, even if its barely fragmented.
firewall grants pretty much anything access to internet
search is useless if you dont know the exact name of a file...seriously, i searched for a file that i knew exactly where it was at..no resulsts to display unless i searched with its precise name...thats sad.
performance still degrades over time just as it did in xp.
startup is slower than xp
and finally sleep mode does not wake up from itself after like 10 minutes or more

i do like gadgets and dreamscene though,games run fine

its alot better than xp but still far from being as good as linux in most respects.
i swear if it wasnt for gaming i'd switch to linux completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom